We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

United States
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

I'm thinking about renting an apartment in Soho for a few days this Summer w/two kids ~10 years old. We're not really worried about crime, but there may be times when we'll return late at night (walking from a nearby tube station) Might it be too rowdy or noisy? Should we look elsewhere?

fyi - I'm generally referring to the area bordered by Oxford, Regent, Charing Cross and Leicester Square. Thanks.

Edited: 02 February 2012, 17:48
Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

No, soho would be fine at night it's very busy with people so quite safe but I would check out exactly where the apartment is because Soho could be noisy at nights and this could be a problem especially with kids. with kids

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

Certainly many reports here of accom in Soho are that its noisy, but that obviously depends very much on the exact location. I recall someone posting a month or two back how they had been told their location would be noisy, went ahead and booked it, but didnt appreciate just how noisy it would be.

There could be a world of difference from one street to the next so best to post the exact location if you find some candidates for consideration.

Edited: 02 February 2012, 17:52
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,064 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

It would help to know the street. There's a world of difference between Frith/Greek St/old Compton St which can be noisy till the small hours and Lexinton/Poland/Broadwick St or the bit by Golden Square which are quieter

United States
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

Thanks for the replies. It looks like one place I'm considering is around Old Compton and Frith, which sound like that would be on the louder side, so I'll give it some thought. Good to know about those other, more quiet streets. Thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,064 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

Yep - that's very much party central - jampacked with clubs, bars, restaurants and people out and about 'enjoying' themselves till 3/4am*. Good place to visit, terrible place to stay IMO.

* used to be me back in the day....

Edited: 02 February 2012, 19:14
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

Will your children be content to stay in a flat in an area with minimal green space nearby? Soho Square is a nice oasis away from the crowds but if your sprogs want to run off a bit of energy you may need to take them to Coram's Fields or Green Park.

Have you got a link for the flat you're considering?

United States
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

Here's one pad I've been checking out:

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/325237

Used to be me out there back in the day "enjoying" the wee hours, as well. My wife will be with us. Maybe I can step out a bit for some fun while she hangs with the kids. ;)

Edited: 02 February 2012, 19:55
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,064 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

Well it's only one bed and it's Old Compton Street (and in Italian for some reason which stretched my linguist skills somewhat). I'd go for a quieter street and a bit more space if I were you. Even if one of you is, ahem, out on the tiles...

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

Its really not an area I would choose to stay in, especially with kids. As parklandwalk said, its pretty much party central, and is/was home to some rather questionable attractions.

That said its been a while since I went there so perhaps it has changed in the last 3 or 4 years, if so then I apologise ?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,064 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OK to Stay in Soho with Kids ?

If Bluebreezer is referring to the sex industry this is (and always was) concentrated south of Brewer St and Gt Windmill st (walk ups,strip joints and clip joints) and is easily avoided. The location of the airbnb property is Frith St/Old Compton St where the bigger issue by far is noise. Whilst some children can sleep on a washing line others can be highly cranky if they get tired so I guess the OP will have to weigh that up. I agree there are better areas with kids and apart from anything else good properties with space are few and far between in Soho.

Edited: 02 February 2012, 20:18