We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

Hi peeps! I'd be arriving in London on the Eurostar for a 5-day, 4-night stay starting the 21st of Feb. I really need some suggestions on where to go shopping in London as the big sale would hv been over by that time. Where can I go to get good bargains on designer handbags and shoes and stuff?

Thanks for the feedback, would really appreciate it!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

*green with envy* Wish I could be either in Paris or London now. Won't mind the cold weather, haha!

Anyways, have fun shopping! And do update us on your experience and "acquisitions" ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

Have fun! Its not as cold as when I was there but still very cold compared to what you are used to. I'm back in OZ and its in the 30 degree range - air conditioner weather :) I can tell you its nice to feel the warmth of the sun after being in Europe.

Paris does have sales and Rue Honoure in the 8th (I think) is fabulous....it has Max Mara and other fabulous stores and boutiques, some with huge discounts. This is where I found a gorgeous handbag in a French Handbag Designer's boutique and my italian leather boots x 2.

Most have all new season stock but have one rack of left over winter coats on sale. Thats how I found my amazingly gorgeous Max Mara coat in Dublin (A wonderful boutique called Khan)...it was on a rack of left over winter stock, and the only one of its type there....and it was my size. I'm so thrilled with it and it was 40% off the full price! Yippee!

Though the extreme cold did mean that I could not walk around Europe as much as I wanted, the bargains I got will leave me forever with happy memories. I hope you find some great bargains Mijae....just keep looking, because you know it will be so worth it when you find those bargains.

Remember, Harrods and Selfridges have nothing on sale anymore - nothing at all. But you should consider having lunch at the Harrods food court. If you like a seafood Bouillabaisse, have lunch in the seafood section - walk in and its the little place on the left. Its to die for. Otherwise have their fish and chips - because when in London, thats the thing to do.

Im looking forward to hearing how you go and what bargains you find!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

Arrived in Paris yesterday, weather is cold, but not so when touched down. But it got very cold on the afternoon when it starts to rain intermittently, very fine snow-like rain.

Very single-minded shopping yesterday, to grab either a birkin or a Lindy frm Hermes. No luck on birkin of course, but managed to grab the only Lindy they had, which was not even displayed. Must ask them otherwise u won't know. So my friend back home is happy tht she got her bag!

Went to La Vallee outlet... A waste of time really. Nothing there. The Celine store didn't even hv any boogie or bittersweet hbags! Saw nice boots frm Tod's n Armani at below €200, but no size (hence the deep discount!). So ended up not being a single thing! I hope Bicester Village would hv more to offer!

Today we'll be hitting the other shops on St Honore. Will check out the Chanel n LV.

Will update again soon. Thx ladies, wish u were here too! Heheh!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

And if ur thinking of getting an Hermes, Paris is the place to buy it. Coz the price diff from ur respective countries may be very big. An eg. the Lindy back home ( if they hv any for sale!), is RM10k (abt USD3,300) more expensive than the same one sold in Paris!

My heart screams to own one too , but my head says ...are u out of ur mind???!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

Im back home! Glad to be back to warm sunny weather!

The conclusion I made from my recent trip:

1. Paris is much cheaper to shop than London for designers stuff esp French n Italian designers.

2. London has better deals for children's clothes compared to Paris. Very good value - M&S, Mothercare, Primark.

3. Food in London is cheaper than Paris. N plenty of halal food to be found too. The kebab wrap pn Oxford Street was really good! Loved the scones in M&S, the red velvet in Harrods. ASDA sells chocs n cookies at very good prices. Very good value n tasted good too!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,517 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

Nice to hear you enjoyed the Primark experience and that you're European trip went swimmingly.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

Yes. But I am so sad tht the handbag i bought in Paris had been grabbed by a couple of snatch thieves on a bike. I hope they will rot in hell!

Anyways, I may be making a trip to London on Jan, 2013, to catch the tail-end of the sale. With my family in tow this time! I dread the weather though!

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

Hi Mijae, sorry to hear that your handbag was robbed. Hope you can get to buy more when you go to London next Jan!

Btw, can i check with you whether you went to Bichester Village in the end? Was it worth going? Thanks in advance. :)

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

For the sake of avoidance of confusion, the town is called Bicester, not Bichester, and it's pronounced "Bister".

Just how good are the bargains to be had at Bicester Village? Like Lord Kimmage, I tend to gravitate more towards the Primark end of the scale, with Marks & Spencer generally representing the limit of my budget. If I go to Bicester Village am I going to be able to buy " leading fashion and lifestyle brands" at M&S prices, or will I just have wasted my train fare?

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
40. Re: Travelling in London in February 2012 for shopping

oops... sorry for the wrong spelling.. Noted that it is called Bicester Village. Is this a good place to go for bargains on designer goods? Any good outlet stores near London of such nature? Thanks in advance.