We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is lodging near Victoria Station good access for Heathrow

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is lodging near Victoria Station good access for Heathrow

I've tentatively booked the Doubletree Hilton Victoria (it's changing ownership from the previous Hesperia London Victoria Hotel), right across from Victoria Station for 4 nights in mid-May. Flexible rates are 144 pounds/night with tax and advance pay rate is 115 pounds/night. I'm wondering if this is a good choice, cost and location wise to visit many of London's main tourist attractions and if there will be a variety of places nearby to grab breakfast, etc.

Our family of 4 will be dropping our rental car off at Heathrow (it's an Alamo rental so I don't know where in the airport we'll go to return it) the evening of May 20th. To save the most money, how would we take the tube to Victoria Station from the rental dropoff and about how long would the trip take? What would be the cost compared to a Heathrow Express train? Would transfers be involved?

Our return flight leaves on 5/24 at 3:35 pm. I'm assuming it's from terminal T-5 since it's a British Airways flight. What time would we need to leave Victoria Station by? I think we're supposed to be at the airport 2 hours before and that T-5 will take a little longer to get to. If we decided to take the Heathrow Express to save time, where would we go to catch it?

I'm also thinking of purchasing a 7-day rail pass to take advantage of 2 for 1 admissions. How would I do this if Heathrow doesn't sell the passes? Just pay for a regular tube ride from/to the airport and buy the passes once I get to Victoria Station? Thanks for your help.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Brit Movie Tours
Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Babylon Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,372 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is lodging near Victoria Station good access for Heathrow

The hotel isn't in a bad location, central enough with plenty of buses from Victoria if you'd rather use them than the Underground.

LHR hire car offices are off site, so you would take a shuttle from the Europcar (Alamo) office to one of the terminal buildings then the Underground from there. Travel time is about 45 minutes, including the easy change at Hammersmith - alight from the Piccadilly line car, walk across the platform and board an eastbound District line train.

The HEX is considerably more expensive than the Underground; Paddington isn't near Victoria so you'd need to take a taxi to your hotel.

The return journey to T5 will take about 50 minutes from Victoria, again with the cross platform change at Hammersmith. There are luggage trolleys at the T5 Underground station (and at the other two Tube stations as well) making it an easy trip from the Tube station level to Departures - the lifts go straight from the station level to Departures.

Since using paper Travelcards for the two for one offers means that you would have to pay cash excess fares for travel beyond the paid for zones, you may be best off buying cash single fares from and to Heathrow then buying paper Travelcards at Victoria. The savings will be offset by using the two for ones.

Cash single fares from LHR to Victoria are £5.30 for adults and £2.60 for children between ages 11 and 15; children under 10 may travel for free with adults holding valid tickets or Travelcards. But if you have children under age 10 they will need Travelcards (one day off peak cards for zones 1 - 6 cost £3.20) for the two for one offers.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,824 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is lodging near Victoria Station good access for Heathrow

Another thumbs up for the location although I don't know how much refurbishment, if any, Doubletree will be doing.

In addition to the good transport links there are plenty of decent family style restaurants within walking distance.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is lodging near Victoria Station good access for Heathrow

Victoria Station is well located for the sights. Walk down Victoria Sreeet for around 20 minutes and you are at Westminster Abbey, Parliament Square, Bg Ben, and you can walk up Whitehall or cross the river at Westminster Bridge, fine views over the Thames. Walking the other way, up Buckingham Palace Way, you will get to B Palace in about 15 minutes.

Lots of cafes, restaurants around Victoria Station, no problems there.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is lodging near Victoria Station good access for Heathrow

Another transport option from Heathrow is the National Express Coach--the terminal is only a block or so from your hotel, on Elizabeth Street just north of Buckingham Palace Road. Adamhornets will have more current information with respect to possible delays due to problems with the Hammersmith flyover, but its a much more comfortable way to enter the city with no luggage hassles or steps--the arrivals terminal is very small and you're out on a relatively quiet sidewalk in no time. Downside is that service is not as frequent as the Underground, but still fairly frequent.

I've stayed in the area several times and I think its fine for tourists. I probably wouldn't eat in any of the restaurants directly facing Victoria but there are good options very close by!

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is lodging near Victoria Station good access for Heathrow

If you don't fancy luggage etc dragged through the Underground, for 4 people a private car should be cheaper than all the other alternatives, about 50-55 GBP ?

The National Express from Victoria isn't that great as frequencies are only about one every 2 or 3 hours to T5, most frquencies only go to the bus station which requires another train or underground ride (free) out to T5 from a platform 5-10 minutes walk away

6. Re: Is lodging near Victoria Station good access for Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 10:30