We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

Bangalore
Level Contributor
71 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

We're planning to be in London for 7days starting this Saturday. Heard some bad news about the snow in the region and biting cold conditions. Though I'm pretty much ok with the cold conditions but my second half is too sensitive of the with cold weather.

Is it gonna be too bad then? and what are the precautions we can take even if it is apart from covering ourselves from head to toe?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

It's warming up this coming weekend and should be around 6 degrees during the day, rather than zero or 1 degree. I am no weather expert but I don't think you will get snow.

I am here in London at the moment and wear layers, a long sleeve top, a t-shirt, a cardigan and a wind proof jacket, woolen gloves and a hat if I am cold. A hat keeps heat in your body because we lose alot of heat through our heads. I wear a hat that is like a cross between a cap and a beret...it's kinda cute.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

Well it's winter but not that cold at the moment. No snow expected this weekend. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

Not so fast Batman! The forecast is changing v.rapidly at the moment and the forecast is for cold (sub-zero) with some possibility of snow in the South. There is basically a battle between a high pressure (cold weather) zone over continental Europe which currently sits over the east of the UK, and warmer air coming in from the Atlantic. Where the two meet, there is a possibility of snow, but where the two fronts meet, when and the exact consequences, can only accurately be forecast a day or so in advance (and sometimes less).

So make sure you bring with you or buy here:

thermal underwear (long-johns) or stockings*

thick socks (and maybe some thin socks to fit under them)*

water-resistant boots/shoes

gloves

a scarf

a woollen hat or beanie

a sweater or polar fleece

a wind-resistant coat, (preferably padded, but not all that important if you have a good sweater and other layers and are not venturing into the countryside).

If you don't have any of the above gear, see how cold you are when you step out of the plane and then get a taxi from your hotel to the nearest Marks & Spencer or department store.

* - an ex-policeman once told me that, when he was a constable on patrol in winter, the police used to wear ladies tights (pantyhose) under their normal uniform, as extra insulation; if you're brave enough to go with this tip, you could dispense with the long johns and thin undersocks, and save quite a bit of cash.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

Well, I live in the outskirts of Greater London and we're supposed to have a low temperature of minus 4 tonight - I call that cold enough. We had a little flurry of snow this morning, so we might not be out of the woods just yet.

Policemen in ladies' tights - now, that thought could set the mind boggling.

Derby.UK
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

You may wish to try this site, just type London to get the forcast which is pretty accurate (normally)!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

The weather forecast tonight for the South East said we COULD be in for another 2 weeks of the bitterly cold weather. If that's the case, expect London day time temperatures of a couple of degrees celsius, and sub-zero evenings. Whilst the sun, if it appears, may help the days feel slightly warmer, sunset is still around 5.00 pm so temperatures start dropping mid/late afternoon.

If the sun does shine during the day (how ever cold it is), try a walk in one of the Royal Parks.

As others have said, wrap up warm and enjoy.

Edited: 07 February 2012, 19:45
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

Also be careful some paths can be slippery even if covered in snow, I've discovered myself today but that's in a rural area but I do recommend a good scarf and hat and a good warm coat.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

The 5 day forcast for the London area, updated daily

metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/london_foreca…

T shirt, sweater, coat, jeans, warm socks and thick soled shoes. If you need some clothing just for the trip there are cheap shops like Primark where you can buy nice fashionable things at a small price including wellington boots & umbrellas.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

London is still less cold than most parts of northern Europe. And most of Ireland and Scotland are milder still. It's anywhere from Amsterdam and Paris north and immediately south eastwards that you'll get the sub-zero temperatures.

Edited: 07 February 2012, 23:10
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,167 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How BAD is the weather for visiting London this weekend?

As Henneth rightly points out, London is positively balmy compared to most of Europe. Although in my part of Scotland at the weekend it was 7c and sunny haha!

It's February in London, it will be a tad cold :-) Dress up warm!

Edited: 07 February 2012, 23:17