We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fulham vs. other Premier league teams

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
148 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Fulham vs. other Premier league teams

I am an American of descent from Kent, UK. I am searching for a Premier League team to support since football is over in the USA. A friend suggested Fulham. ???? is this a good fit? The only clubs the average American knows of are Man U and Chelsea and both seem a bore. Give me a reason to love Fulham or steer in the right direction. What would Tim Tebow do??

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fulham vs. other Premier league teams

>>I am searching for a Premier League team to support since football is over in the USA<<

Ermm .. you're not going to get much sympathy/encouragement with that statement. As as I see it, most of the regulars on here (including me) support teams outside the Premier League. I'm a long time Crystal Palace fan (Championship) and others support Watford (Chmpshp), Charlton and Brentford (League 1).

It's a bit like an Englishman asking which NFL team to support on the Baton Rouge, Ann Arbor or Tuscaloosa forums. :)

(for the Londoners, those are cities with the top College football teams)

Edited: 08 February 2012, 08:30
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fulham vs. other Premier league teams

What USBT said ;-)

Fulham wouldn't be a bad choice, they do have Clint Dempsey in their side and he has been having a terrific season. How about looking for Premier League teams with other American players. Everton have Tim Howard in goal, Tottenham have Brad Friedel.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,449 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fulham vs. other Premier league teams

But if you did want to support a Premier League team then Fulham would be a good choice. In recent times US players such as McBride and Bocanegra have worn the shirt and Clint Dempsey is currently their leader scorer. We won't mention Eddie Johnson!

They play in an old fashioned stadium that only sells out for the very big games which means you have a chance of getting tickets and they have known bad times as well as good.

And there is a statue of Michael Jackson outside :-)

It would be great if I could persuade to also support Watford in the Championship. Elton John used to own the club, Jay Demerit who played for the US in South Africa at the last World Cup was our centre half and there is a decent sized Watford supporters club based up the road from you in Denver.

http://watforddenver.blogspot.com/

Edited: 08 February 2012, 08:48
Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fulham vs. other Premier league teams

Fulham are popular with American expats as they're one of the few clubs who have had a few American players.

Pros: They're based in a nice part of town, right on the river, decent pubs and restaurants a shortish walk away in Putney, and not too crowded. They wear similar colours to the US national team. Clint Dempsey plays for them right now. They're an underdog who occasionally grab a good result against the big teams. They're not an obvious choice so at least you'll look a bit original. They're very family friendly and there's never trouble.

Cons: Their ground isn't very nice. (People will argue this point and say it has "character", I just think it's small and outdated now with poor facilities). The atmosphere isn't the greatest, away fans often outsing the home fans. They'll probably never set the Premiership on fire.

Hasn't Tim Tebow jumped on the Manchester City bandwagon? I'm sure I've seen footage of him in a post game interview wearing a city shirt.

If I was a complete neutral looking for a London PL club to support I have to say I'd be tempted by Arsenal and Tottenham, both play attractive football that's good to watch. I'd keep my eye on West Ham as well, they'll be back.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fulham vs. other Premier league teams

If your family are orginally from Kent, then it has to be the mighty Gills, Gillingham FC, who are currently 10th in League 2.

www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/page/Home

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fulham vs. other Premier league teams

I'm a bit out of touch with who's current in the assorted Premiership first temas, but I think Everton currently have the most USAnian players, with Tim Howard and Marcus Hahneman as keepers, and Landon Donovan in outfield. I think the only other Premiership team with more than one currently are Aston Villa, with Brad Guzan (keeper again) and Eric Lichaj. It's almost interesting that five of the USA players in the Premiership are keepers, with Brad Friedel and Casey Keller (um - is he still here?) adding to the three I mentioned earlier.

Dropping to Championship, Leeds have got Robbie Rogers and Paul Rachubka, and West 'am have George John and Sebastian Lletget.

7. Re: Fulham vs. other Premier league teams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 10:22