We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best UK Beach for a family

melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best UK Beach for a family

My daughter and I are planning a 6 week europe trip and we wanted to take a few days out from the whirlwind at a beach in the south of England in mid July. We're travelling everywhere by train so accessibility is important and we're from Australia so the beach must have sand!! any recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,352 Reviews
from US$133.30*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,124 Reviews
from US$142.20*
US$158.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
510 Reviews
from US$120.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$355.00*
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,110 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Best UK Beach for a family

MelbourneKim - you really don't have to justify your choices; it's your holiday. But you now have several good alternatives. FWIW I'd say Broadstairs, (I knew there was somewhere in Kent), and Bournemouth are the 2 of the easiest to get to by train with frequent services and plenty of amenities right by the beach and a good selection of accommodation if you are staying over.

Mentioned in this post
Kent
Kent
England, UK
Bournemouth
Bournemouth
Dorset, UK
melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Best UK Beach for a family

hi all,

thanks for the suggestions - i had originally thought Cornwall but will do some research on Bournemouth now thanks to all of your amazing feedback!

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Bournemouth
Bournemouth
Dorset, UK
Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
246 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Best UK Beach for a family

Bournemouth is a nice Seaside town with plenty to do if the weather is not good (always a possibility in the UK in July!) and also has good shopping, attractive Winter Gardens, nice places to eat and most importantly a nice long sandy beach.

For a quieter part of the beach on hot sunny days, when it can get rammed by the pier, just walk a bit further along. I would walk Westwards(left if you stand looking out to sea)

If you get a chance to visit Sandbanks beach whilst in the area, that is a really nice beach too. I'm sure you can get a bus there from Bournemouth town centre.

...and be sure to try some fish and chips. They always taste so much better by the seaside. There is a Harry Ramsdens right on Bournemouth beach:-)

Mentioned in this post
Sandbanks
Sandbanks
1,364 Reviews
Poole, UK
Bournemouth
Bournemouth
Dorset, UK
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Best UK Beach for a family

Cornwall is beautiful, even if the weathers not that great the scenery is stunning.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Best UK Beach for a family

Chrella from Italy with 13,064 posts, I agree Cornwall is beautiful . but if you read the original post, Melbournkim only has a few days to visit a traditional English beach.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Essex
Level Contributor
29,956 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Best UK Beach for a family

Portsmouth could make a 'choice' too

The beaches of Southsea are quite nice sand, and if the weather is poor the Historic Dockyard is great for a visit. Gunwharf Quays is a nice area for shopping, 'hanging out' and dining and you can do some boat trips from there that are rather interesting. You also have the D-Day Museum with Overlord Tapestry, Other Museums, an Aquarium and some 'funfair' type attractions on the Clarence Pier.

Easy train journey from London Waterloo:

http://www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/

Edited: 11 February 2012, 15:09
Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Best UK Beach for a family

Where is the sand in Southsea? The Portsmouth historic dockyard is great - but the beach........ ?

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Best UK Beach for a family

"Where is the sand in Southsea?"

Have to agree, in over 30 years I've not found any sand on a Southsea beach (you may get a tiny stretch when the tides out but that's all).

Edited: 11 February 2012, 18:10
Essex
Level Contributor
29,956 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Best UK Beach for a family

Oh yikes, memory playing tricks on me then!! Could have sworn I saw sand when I was there in June.......

Mind you Wikipedia says mostly fine gravel, with sand exposed at low tide!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southsea

Got carried away, I think, by the fact that I just really like Portsmouth and reckon it is much overlooked as a place to visit!!

Does not fit the OP's remit though, by the look of things!

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
London
Level Contributor
60 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Best UK Beach for a family

Dorset is lovely but you need car to get to the best beaches (e.g. Studland) so perhaps Norfolk would be easier.

Mentioned in this post
Dorset
Dorset
England, UK
Norfolk
Norfolk
East Anglia, UK