We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houndslow to South Kensington?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,897 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Houndslow to South Kensington?

Have been looking at this journey for some time but can't work out what the cost may be on the tube.

I am supposing that this would be the easiest & cheapest. Need to find out the cost.

It seems to be all on the Picadilly Line but don't understand the different area charges. Can anyone help? I'm wanting to get from a hotel on the Bath Road to the V & A.....seems that Houndslow West to South Ken would be the obvious unless someone knows different.

Very confused.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,362 Reviews
from US$130.70*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,130 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.80
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$117.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$348.00*
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Houndslow to South Kensington?

I wonder whether the OP has bagged a £19 room. Or £29 - or £39!

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,897 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Houndslow to South Kensington?

Hit the nail on the head pepper. Room £19, big hot bath on arrival, all mod cons and quiet. Excellent top quality breakfast £5. Also half price theater tickets possible. Next year will use the £1 National Express offer.

Travel cost of inner London hotels, by train, getting to hotel then museum pretty pricey especially for one - but will check out the info on them just in case it has changed.

Think I have the gist on Zones now thanks, will look into Travel Cards. Last time I went you just went to a man in a booth and paid a set price for the tube. Not sure it even mattered how far you were going!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,970 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Houndslow to South Kensington?

But Sue, how are you getting from Somerset to Heathrow?

Edited: 10 February 2012, 17:30
Mentioned in this post
Somerset
Somerset
England, UK
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,897 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Houndslow to South Kensington?

National Express Adam. Yes I know the hoppa costs money! The reason I haven't been for so long is that you either have an exhausting day of unsociable hours on a local coach or try something like this which would definitely be more of a break.

As it all works out at a small fortune.....my next trick is a week back in my ancestral habitat of Hertfordshire. Even that is +£500 for a week. I could go somewhere exciting for that money.

Mentioned in this post
Hertfordshire
Hertfordshire
England, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,970 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Houndslow to South Kensington?

Now Hertfordshire (well the south west part!) is my manor so do let me know if you need help with that.

In the meantime local buses 105 & 111 will get you from the Heathrow Bus station to almost opposite the hotel. It's just outside the free bus area so you will have to pay (still though cheaper, quicker and easier than the Hoppa) or walk for 5 minutes from Harlington Corner and be careful crossing the busy A4.

From the hotel the 81 and the 222 will get you to Hounslow West. I think that route is slightly quicker than going back to Heathrow but there isn't much in it.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,897 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Houndslow to South Kensington?

Oh bother! It's probably that google maps thing. I thought Houndslow West was fairly near the hotel. Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board...except I have an inkling about Zones and Travel Cards now :-)

I'll start checking out hotels etc again. Don''t think I will ever make a city person.

Hertfordshire, shame. it's the North Westish, Tring / Bulbourne area. I have this idea know my way around there. I do pretty well in the country!

Mentioned in this post
Hertfordshire
Hertfordshire
England, UK
Tring
Tring
Hertfordshire, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,970 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Houndslow to South Kensington?

It's only about 15 minutes on the bus from the hotel to Hounslow West and it's a decent budget hotel so don't rule it out unless you can change everything and take a National Express coach all the way to Victoria.

The other option could be Jury's Heathrow. One stop on the tube to Hatton Cross and then a four or five minute walk or a free bus (423) from the central bus station. Nice hotel.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,897 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Houndslow to South Kensington?

Interesting Adam, could easily take the NE to Victoria. What difference would that make?

Have just heard from my Londoner neighbour that I can use my oldies bus pass in London so this could be a whole new ball game.

If I could get a £1 NE fare, £19pn hotel & free busses.....think I should be on the Budget travel forum!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,970 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Houndslow to South Kensington?

Well Sue, Victoria is just two stops from South Kensington on the Circle line (the C1 bus is another possibility) and there are scores of hotels of varying quality within a five minute walk of the coach station.

Rates will though be more than the £19 PI deal even at decent budget places in nearby Ebury Street such as B&B Belgravia and The Lime Tree so you are paying for the convenience of staying centrally. There is a PI Victoria as well although that is a little further away from the coach station.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,897 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Houndslow to South Kensington?

Thank you adam. Will check it out. Really didn't think it would be so tricky. But I don't give up easy.