We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question for the local exp. (new bedtax)

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A question for the local exp. (new bedtax)

What is this new bed tax all about? I´ve just received a mail(by Travelodge) where I was encouraged to join in a protest against this.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question for the local exp. (new bedtax)

Hotels and other holiday accommodation in France and Spain have a bed tax of around 1€ per person per night. This money grabbing/wasting government of ours has seen this as yet another way to take our money. However, not being one to do things by half they propose a rate of 5% (on top of the 17.5% VAT)

bha-online.org.uk/pdfs/mediacentre/210.pdf

You may find this one more interesting as it compares UK to Denmark.

Still if you stay long enough when it comes in you might be able to claim a peerage.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question for the local exp. (new bedtax)

Oops - forgot to post the second URL.

leisureopportunities.co.uk/BHA/…

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question for the local exp. (new bedtax)

We are hopefully a long way off from this happening but one wonders if our government (who fail to realise the benefits of tourism like all governments before) might try to introduce this under the guise of a tax to help pay for the Olympics and therefore try to make those of us who would oppose it as somehow un British and unsupportive of "our country".

If any tax did come in, it could actually hurt the internal domestic market more as Brits would be more likely to head abroad lured by cheap flights and the promise of sun, sea and sand.

I should stress that at this stage these are one mans proposals and no more.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,382 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question for the local exp. (new bedtax)

I hope this idea does not prosper. It seems a strange idea. Here they take another approach, foreign tourists do not pay the 19% sales tax on accomodation. Residents pay it. The result is that it is cheaper for us to vacation outside the country so we do.

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A question for the local exp. (new bedtax)

""one wonders if our government (who fail to realise the benefits of tourism like all governments before)""

Quite right Adam. Visit Britain, the government body set up to promote the UK, gets so little funding nowdays it has had to become semi commercial