We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Admission for 16 yo

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
356 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Admission for 16 yo

Almost every attraction has a child rate for under 16's. How strictly do they enforce this? My daughter is 16 years old.

Thanks.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Admission for 16 yo

What attractions.....where ??

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Admission for 16 yo

Are you asking where your daughter can get away with fraud by lying about her age?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
356 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Admission for 16 yo

In the US it is fairly common to use child rates if your child is close to the age limit. No need to be rude if that is not the practice in London. That's why I was asking.

I was thinking about the Globe theater, the hop on hop off bus, etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Admission for 16 yo

Nothing rude about GreenwichNick's response - it was to the point and correct imho. Senior's concession prices kick in when one is 60; by the OP's reasoning, it's OK to pay for senior's tickets if one is only 59.

What part of "under 16" is hard to understand? It doesn't say "under 16 or just a bit over and if so, by how much?"

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,455 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Admission for 16 yo

Most of the major museums and art galleries are free in any case, so being over or under sixteen won't be a problem at those places.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Admission for 16 yo

If the child rate is for under 16, then a 16 year old must pay adult rates. I think that is easy to understand.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Admission for 16 yo

In the US it is fairly common to use child rates if your child is close to the age limit.

======

Are you saying people in the US are more liable to lie about their children's ages than elsewhere? Interesting. I am sure plenty lie here also. How much the attraction checks on age, is down to that specific attraction and also the person on the door on the day.

As your emphasis will be on saving money, you should check on www.daysoutguide.co.uk where you can get 2 tickets for the price of 1 at no cost, simply by buying your travel tickets in the right place, no need to lie.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
356 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Admission for 16 yo

Please, I'm not saying anything about anyone.

And when I was doing the math on the various discounts I counted her as an adult - except I would like to purchase the Family Ticket (2 adults plus a number of children) at some of these places that its offered. We are an odd number of people so the Family Ticket would be better than the 2 for 1's. And to me - we feel like a family.

I think I have enough comments would not like to start a thread about the relative honesty of various geographics.

9. Re: Admission for 16 yo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 February 2012, 12:35
London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Admission for 16 yo

As far as I am aware, OPs do not enjoy a monopoly on deciding when there have been enough responses to a question, so with respect I'll just back up and modify what Nick says.

The point was made rather bluntly, and may have been perceived as rude, but I doubt that that was the intention. The fact is that if a concession is available for persons under the age of x then any person aged x or over cannot make use of the concession. I understand that what the OP is saying is not that Americans are less honest than other nationalities but that it is the local custom to exercise a little elasticity in applying the rules. At a university at which I used to teach, students were allowed to submit essays that were not more than 10 percent longer than the prescribed maximum length. This meant that a 3,000-word essay could effectively be a 3,300-word essay. I suppose what the OP is saying is that in the USA if a concession is valid up to the day before the sixteenth birthday then it is understood that its validity is in fact extended to the age of, say, 16 and a half. If this is the local custom and it is widely understood then I do not think that it is necessarily dishonest. In the UK, however, this custom is not observed. Concessions here that are based on age become valid or cease to be valid on a specific date, not a day sooner or later.