We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 1/2 days in London - additions and tweaks made

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
306 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
4 1/2 days in London - additions and tweaks made

Tues

Land 12:15

Get to hotel 2:00-2:30

Nap

Dinner

Ghosts of the Old City walk 7:30 

Weds  Westminster Bridge-8:30 Parliament. Walk to 

Westminster Abbey-9:00 am 

Churchill War Rooms 

Lunch 12:30-2:00

Covent Garden    

Evensong St Paul's  5:00

Jack the Ripper haunts 7:30

Thurs

National Gallery 10-12:00 

Lunch 

National Portrait Gallery 1:00-2:00) 

Walk down Mall-Whitehall

St James Park

Courtauld Gallery  (4-6) 

Play 7:30 

Fri-

Mass- Brompton Oratory 

10:45 Victoria and Albert Museum tour

Lunch 

Hyde park 

Afternoon Tea- Capital Hotel or Fortnum's  3:00-4:30

Globe play  7:30 

Sat- Windsor or Hampton Court

9:00 am 

Thames Boat Cruise

7:15 Sat night pub crawl 

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 1/2 days in London - additions and tweaks made

I think covering both Westminster Abbey and the Cabinet (Churchill) War Rooms in one morning is rather overambitious. I'd allow at two hours for each, which would push lunch right back. That said, you have plenty of time that day with only Covent Garden scheduled for the afternoon, so you could still cover both that day.

And, I'd still advise against that nap! :-)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 1/2 days in London - additions and tweaks made

Agree with USBT on both counts--naps are your enemy. Try to stay outdoors, in the sun (or so you can see the sky). Seeing the sun set will do a lot towards resetting your internal clock. Try to go to bed as late as you can manage, even if it is only 8:30.

Westminster Abbey, for me, took several hours, and likewise with the Churchill War Rooms. Perhaps do one after lunch.

Level Contributor
306 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 1/2 days in London - additions and tweaks made

I don't want to belabor the napping part but I have not had bad experiences with sleep by taking a small nap after long haul flights On my last trip to London, I took a 3 hr nap, got up and had dinner with a friend in Oxford St and was pretty bright for the next morning. Everyone has different experiences with it

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 1/2 days in London - additions and tweaks made

I think it is worthwhile belabouring the napping thing. I believed in non-napping until my most recent visit to London, where I needed to nap in order to attend a Proms concert at Albert Hall that evening. I was perfectly fine the next day to visit exhibits at the British Library and National Gallery, and attend a play at the National Theatre.

I hope people that espouse the non-napping cause are basing that on there own experience, and not just repeating conventional wisdom.

5. Re: 4 1/2 days in London - additions and tweaks made

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:17