We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London 2.5 Days

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
London 2.5 Days

So my wife and I are going to be landing in london as a spring board whirlwind trip in July 2013 (not sure the exact dates so i will use days of the week) Most likely end of july around the 20, so just doing some intial planning seeing as most things cant be booked yet.

I know there will be people who say you can't do london in 2.5 days but I am sorry its all I got.

As long as the same flight is offereed next year as it is this year we should be leaving direct to london landing at 10:30am at heathrow so I figure by the time we get out of heathrow and to our hotel we are talking 12:30-1 This will be a Saturday.

I was thinking since the best way to fight jet lag is fight through it and get on schedule for where you are we have to get out stretch our legs get some air and get going.

I was thinking Since it is light our fairly late in July it gives use some time, I was thinking maybe walking over to big ben taking some pictures maybe do the london eye (Could pre book for later in the day like 5ish or so should be good unless we get a major flight

From this point in am not 100% sure what the best plan of attack is, Neither of us are Big art people so wandering a muesum looking at pantings is not for us old buildings neat stuff like that is good.

I was thinking we might like the following

London Tower (With beefeater tour)

Westminster abby (Prob just the outside since getting i think is a gong show)

Buckingham palace (with changing of the Guard)

London Bridge

Churchilll war room (Could be cool)

That sort of stuff so if anyone has any other ideas or can help string them together that would be great, Some of the stuff like london bridge and any other stuff that is just a picture or a quick visit i think would be great on day 1.

Is greenwhich worth going to is it quick I think it might be neat to see it but only if iits quick.

we leave for paris by train early tuesday morning so I have about half day saturday, Sunday, Monday.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London 2.5 Days

<<Westminster abby (Prob just the outside since getting i think is a gong show)>>

What does this mean?

Other than that, absolutely fine. Knock yourself out..

Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London 2.5 Days

Just like See it not actually go inside, I am not even sure if you can go insdie I heard you could but it can be a really long wait.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London 2.5 Days

You can go inside - it' s only on Sundays when there are services (which can be attended) that you can't sightsee.

It is busy but frankly everywhere in London is pretty busy so you're in the wrong place if you want a quiet, empty place.

Up to you whether you go in. There aren't many 1000 yr old churches which have seen weddings, coronations and funerals and much else so if you like unique old buildings it would be worth it, but it's your call.

You mean Tower Bridge (not London Bridge) btw and i wouldn't book the Eye. If you go in the evening you shouldn't have to wait long to get on.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 15:42
Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London 2.5 Days

Its not the quiet that I need it was more just a time thing, but you do raise a very good point about its histroy, will keep it in the back of my mind.

Thats good to know about hte Eye, Sorry I thought it was called london Bridge, I think thats because my child has recently learned the song london bridge is falling down. :)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London 2.5 Days

If time is the concern then skip the Changing of the Guard which is tourist tat and a time waster and spend some time actually engaging with what you're visiting. In 2 days you can manage 4-6 major sites and could get to Greenwich. Nothing wrong with seeing the outsides, you could a HOHO bus in 2-3 hours, and get a boat down to Greenwich and back, and see loads but you will not really have experienced anything of the life changing stories some of these places can tell.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London 2.5 Days

There IS a London Bridge, but it's a very boring structure in comparison to Tower Bridge.

Greenwich is very pleasant, but 'quick'? Hmmm, define quick! I think you'll find you have enough to keep you occupied for your 2.5 days. Mind you if it's a nice day, then a boat trip down to Greenwich is lovely; you could always get the train / DLR / tube back. I would say allow 1/2 day for Greenwich.

If you're short on time, I would say doing The Eye is not a 'must-do'; a lot of people have said to me, 'it was nice, but I could have done without it' or thoughts along those lines.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London 2.5 Days

Forgot to mention - if time is short (it is), then the Eye should be skipped too.

Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London 2.5 Days

Are most attarctions open late in July? I know the eye is open till like 9:30 so as you mentioned before I could always push it to later in the eveneing when most stuff is probably closed, Then again I might be wrong on that.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London 2.5 Days

Sites like WA/Cabinet war rooms close around 5-6pm year round, possibly earlier. Opening times (and online booking if appropriate) will be on their websites. So it would be better to leave the Eye till later. Museums and galleries - not that you're doing them! - have some late nights, usually Thurs, Fri, Sat depending on the venue.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
436 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London 2.5 Days

When we used to visit London with our children we used to take a packed lunch onto the boat down to Greenwich, rather than stop at a restaurant for food. Children (and us!) had a rest, and got off the boat fed and ready to sightsee. If you are there on a Saturday you could book a tour of the Houses of Parliament; takes about an hour and a half.