We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaulieu National Motor Museum

hfx
Level Contributor
4,741 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Beaulieu National Motor Museum

planning a day trip from Central London to Beaulieu National Motor Museum; sounds like multiple forms of travel may be required, suggestions on travel would be appreciated.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaulieu National Motor Museum

There are trains from London Waterloo to Brockenhurst. Then the best option is likely to be a taxi.

For more details see:

beaulieu.co.uk/plan-your-visit/getting-here

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaulieu National Motor Museum

The easiest way would be to get a train to Brockenhurst and a taxi from there.

It does have a few buses a week from Lymington, but it's just too hard work to fit in with them from London

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaulieu National Motor Museum

Enjoy your visit, it's a very interesting place to go.

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaulieu National Motor Museum

I'm interested in Beaulieu too. I've already checked the train fares and it's definitely cheaper to buy them well in advance.

Gosh, it looks likes a wonderful place to me, not sure that one day will be enough; in fact I'm planning to stay few days in the area.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaulieu National Motor Museum

A few days would be good - you could also go to Lymington on the train and maybe across to the Isle of Wight. Bournemouth is also fairly nearby.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaulieu National Motor Museum

Trust me you won't need more than one day at Beaulieu itself. It is, in my opinion, one of those tourist traps which sound better than it is. No doubt I'll get shot down by the motor enthusiasts, but trust me my hubby is well into cars, we've been twice, once a long time ago and once a couple of years ago and felt it could be better on both ocassions. Enjoyed the house and grounds, but you do need a good day, the food provided was awful and a rip off, so try not to eat there. Surrounding areas get my vote, love the New Forest, Buckler's Hard worth a visit.

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaulieu National Motor Museum

Even if I'm girl (ok...youg lady) I'm a motor enthusiast and don't worry, I'm not going to shot you down ;-)

I really appreciated your point of view, thanks.

Both me and my son like cars and TopGear, plus I love english gardens, so it really seemed a good way to spend a day at Beaulieu, even if it's really expensive.

New forest (I'm sure I'll love it) is on the list too and thanx for the Buckler's Hard tip, never heard of it and it seems there's a lot so see along the river.

Also Bournemouth is on the list; one of the teacher of the school I attended in London many, many years ago now works there and as we've been in touch since 1992, it would be nice to meet her up.

I'm still planning; as soon as I know for sure that we're coming, I'll 'move' to the New Forest forum.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaulieu National Motor Museum

"One of those tourist traps which sound better than it is... No doubt I'll get shot down by the motor enthusiasts"

I won't shoot you down, we're all different after all, but I really love Beaulieu and I'm not remotely a car buff (and I hate Top Gear). ;-) I thought it was really exciting to see some of the amazing cars there, the first prototype of the Landrover was a highlight. I think it's very well presented as well.

I really like Buckler's Hard too... at first glance it's two pits dug in a quiet river bank next to a small village, and then you look at the history of it all, those two pits were where a lot of England's most famous and huge warships were built, and then you realise the historic significance and how it must have been bustling in its day. It floated my boat.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaulieu National Motor Museum

I'm sure Londra92 knows this because she knows the UK well, but jic someone else from overseas reads this thread: Beaulieu is an English place and the name is therefore pronounced 'bew-lee' rather than the French way. :-)

Queensland
Level Contributor
1 post
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaulieu National Motor Museum

Visited Beaulieu a couple of weeks ago,very disapointed if this is the National Motor Museum it is a disgrace ,not a great deal of cars and cost too much for entry.We travelled from Australia and were looking forward to our visit,We had finished in 3 hours,we have seen far better collections elsewhere.In our opinion dont waste your money.