We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

I thought I'd share my recent experience (last weekend) with acquiring the National Rail travel card and using the 2 for 1 vouchers.

We bought our off peak travel cards from Waterloo train station for 7 pounds each. It took about 30 seconds to spot a very large window display advertising the 2 for 1 offers in the National Rail ticket office. We simply asked the cashier for the appropriate zone 1-2 one day travel card so we can use the 2 for 1’s. He swiped our U.S. (chip-less) credit card and we were off. It was that easy.

Using the 2 for 1’s was also very easy. At the London Eye they asked for and checked that we had the appropriate travel cards. Two restaurants in Covent Garden didn't check our travel card. They only wanted the voucher. We made sure to also tip on our free meal! It was that easy. So simple. We saved over 40 pounds in one day.

Enjoy!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,552 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

Yes, they are an excellent deal and nice that all sorts of different things are included. Not just 'Museums and Attractions' but restaurants, theatres and activities too.

I always look at the website to get inspiration when taking the kids out and over the years have had great days in London for next to nothing!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

Thanks for the post Reno.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

Good to know you spent £14 and saved over £40 in one day, and had all your travel costs covered as well.

Hopefully, it will be reassuring for people who worry they will loose out by having a travelcard rather than Oyster.

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

I assume that you have to have a Travel Card good on the same day you take advantage of a 2 for 1 .... ?

example that wouldn't work-

buy a Travel Card good for Saturday May 19th -

try to use 2 for 1 at London Eye on Sunday May 20th (a day you don't have a Travel Card) because you were close enough you walked all day

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

Your travel card must be valid on the day you are using the voucher. The Eye cost £18 per person. So utilizing the 2 for 1 is an instant savings.

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

one other thing ...

do you have to print 2 for 1 deals off the website in advance

or can you just show up at the London Eye & when you show your Travel Card

you get the 2 for 1 discount ?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

The vouchers are in book form available from tickets offices on underground and some national rail.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,841 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

>>do you have to print 2 for 1 deals off the website in advance <<

You can get brochures from the railway stations that have vouchers in the back that you complete yourself. ..... BUT, these brochures do run out. When I was there in December only one station (Marylebone) out of the five I walked through had them in stock.

So, you would be better claiming and printing the vouchers online - at least for the attractions you want to see on your first day of 2 for 1. You don't want to have to spend your first day visiting all the main railway stations just looking for a 2-4-1 brochure.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

Thanks for posting renotsyle - your post may get linked to the next time someone asks what to do! It is very easy and as you say can make a heck of a saving.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Recent Experience with the 2 for 1 Offers

How will we print off a voucher though if we are staying in accommodation without a printer ?(which ours doesn't)