We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How hard. is it to hail a cab in early morning

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
How hard. is it to hail a cab in early morning

we are at a flat near the s. kensington tube station and are taking the gatwick express from victoria at 0600 on tuesday. had planned on using the tube to get to victoria but checked out the route yesterday and am concerned about the number of stairs to deal with because of our luggage.

how hard will it be to hail a cab so early in the morning? also, any idea what the fare will be?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How hard. is it to hail a cab in early morning

>>We did use dialacab. The fare was higher than expected, £ 11.80. If I wasn't so trusting I'd say he went a little out of the way to "pad" the fare...<<

As parklandwalk says this sounds about right, as there's the run in and the £2 booking fee to be added as well. If you were expecting £8 and paid £11.80, it means the meter was running for £1.80 as the driver headed to pick you up (or if the booking fee was separately charged the run in was £3.80)

Dial-a-Cab's T+C's state -

"The taximeter will start running when the driver accepts the assignment. The taxi will arrive showing a "run-in" up to a maximum of £4.20 on the taximeter depending on the distance travelled by the driver to reach the pick up address. The taximeter will continue running throughout your journey until your destination is reached at which point the meter cost of the journey, inclusive of the run-in charge, will be displayed on the taximeter. Please note that all meter charges are set and controlled by Transport for London.

All hirings are subject to a £2.00 booking fee, as itemised on the fare chart displayed in the taxi, and will be charged by your driver as an extra at the time of payment. A handling fee of 12.5% - minimum £2.00, will be applied to all card payments. For your security and convenience, please hand your card to the driver at the start of the journey. Your driver will provide a receipt if required - Gratuity is discretional. "

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: How hard. is it to hail a cab in early morning

The location of our flat was such that I could see the South Kensington tube station. Yesterday and today, before I called for the cab, I watched out of the window for 15 mins. And never saw a cab. That's why I decided to call. I knew about the extra charge when i spoke to the taxi co. and figured that it would be approx. £9- 10. I actually told the wrong amt. my husband reminded me that the actual charge was £ 13.80. But all worked out well in the end.

Save Reply
13. Re: How hard. is it to hail a cab in early morning

If you can see South Kensington Station from your window, you must be within walking distance of the Taxi Rank which is in Harrington Road? The fare would be about £8-10 depending on traffic conditions and time as it's metered! Drivers are hardly likely to "pad out" your fare as losing a licence that takes several years to get is not worth the extra pound especially as most appreciative customers tip.

You did tip, didn't you Honey?

14. Re: How hard. is it to hail a cab in early morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 05:16