We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oyster card is it the best way

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
oyster card is it the best way

my wife and i will be going to london on a sat and returning sun we have a hotel booked in leicester sq .we will be parking our car on the outskirts of london maybe greenwich, and getting the tube to our hotel,once at leicester sq we will be exploring convent garden,london eye,oxford street, what is our best opion for the use of the tube ?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: oyster card is it the best way

Some will disagree, but for a one-off trip to London the overheads of an Oyster are just too great and it's probably not going to save you money

You need to get a one day travelcard each day. For zones 1/2, which is all you are likley to need, they are £7 each each day.

The only complication is whether you will want to make use of the 2 for 1 offers. If you don't, then buy them anywhere. If you do then they must be bought at a rail station - the 'mainline' station in Greenwich would do, the DLR/tube stations would not.

There's countless posts in this forum on the finer details.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oyster card is it the best way

Almost certainly an Oyster card with "pay as you go" credit.

However, if you want to take advantage of any of the 2-for-1 offers at www.daysoutguide.co.uk, you'll need to have tickets issued by a Tain operating company, which an include a TravelCard bought from a railway station.

I doubt you'll find parking easily available in Greenwich at a weekend.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oyster card is it the best way

All of the areas you mention, once you have arrived at Leicester Square are within easy reach of each other on foot.

You have to pay a £5 deposit when you purchase the card (you will each need one). The fare from Greenwich into Leicester Square using the Oyster is just £2.00 each way. The cost of a single ticket paying by cash is £4.30. You could purchase Travelcard which would give you unlimited travel on the network, including busses and DLR. This would cost £7.70 each per day

In my opininion, the Oyster card is the best way for you

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oyster card is it the best way

The good thing about a PAYG oyster card is that you can use it every time you come, topping it up as and when you feel you need to. That means that whenever you arrive in London you are ready to go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oyster card is it the best way

Do you mean that you are thinking of parking near to North Greenwich station, i.e near the O2 and you want advice about a route to Covent Garden or Leicester Square? If so, the journey planner at www.tfl.gov.uk might be helpful. However, GreenwichNick's comments about parking anywhere in the Greenwich area will be correct and so it might well be that public transport for the entire journey is your best option.

6. Re: oyster card is it the best way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:40