We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not take Black Taxis in London

jerusalem
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Do Not take Black Taxis in London

we just returned from 8 days in London. It's a great city with one negative issue. When traveling around the city, try as much as possible to take the underground trains rather than the black cabs. One they are very expensive and overpriced and two the drivers find it to be a sport to try and rip the tourist off by driving all over the place to get you to your destination.. I know London well and so I was aware of what each driver was trying to pull off. It's pretty aggravating to be made a sucker. It didn't work with me, but, still each driver became abusive when confronted with their tricks. In short, take the underground and avoid the hassle of being ripped off by the obnoxious and sneaky taxi drivers of London!!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Fun London Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
jerusalem
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Do Not take Black Taxis in London

We can go back and forth for a couple of weeks on this issue. When you come to London, and being that you are so happy with the black taxis service, Please feel free to take as many black taxis as you want. When I return to London, I, on the other hand, unless it's an absolute necessity, will stick with the undergrounds.

jerusalem
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Do Not take Black Taxis in London

The bus is also a great way to travel around London. You are absolutely correct

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Do Not take Black Taxis in London

I'm waiting for you to detail one of these routes that was so obviously wrong, with time and date of travel.

I too am baffled that it was all so awful that you did it 6 times.

London
Level Contributor
261 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Do Not take Black Taxis in London

To be fair to the cab drivers the current conditions in central London with so many major roads a building site must cause a lot of diversions, though normally if that is the case they tell you what they are doing.

As a Londoner, only twice have I ever met up with rogue black cab drivers, neither of whom seemed to have clue where I wanted to go. They are supposed to do the Knowledge whereby they learn the names of all central London streets, so I was deeply suspicious that those guys weren't quite kosher. Just bad luck if you do happen to hail a faudster I suppose.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,986 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Do Not take Black Taxis in London

"They are supposed to do the Knowledge"

No supposed about it. They all HAVE to pass the test known as The Knowledge before they can drive a black cab - tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartners/…1412.aspx

I find it staggering that the OP thought he had to make the same journey six times just to ensure he was getting "ripped off".

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Do Not take Black Taxis in London

Last September we hailed a cab on the street at Russell Square, the driver took us first to Charing Cross/Shaftesbury to drop off my Traveling Companion then took me to Burlington Arcade on Piccadilly.

Don't remember the exact fare, but it was +/- £10.

This didn't seem outrageous to me.

It was Saturday afternoon, 3-ish. The town was jumping, as usual, but not jammed.

There were some sort of road works on Piccadilly in the block just before the Burlington Arcade and the driver had to turn into a side street to let me off.

He explained what he was doing and gave me helpful directions on where to cross, how far down the BA was, and such.

No problem.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: Do Not take Black Taxis in London

Black cabs are one of the things I love about London! The only part of the OP's post that I agree with is that they are expensive so I've used them sparlngly on my trips there. I wish they would bring London taxi drivers to the U.S. to train American taxi drives who all seem to be either very recent immigrants whose English and local knowledge is very poor, or people who are just trying to get by until they can get into the career they really want. (Cash Cab drivers excepted.) London cabbies, as well as cabbies across the U.K., are professionals at what they do and to malign them is just ignorant.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Do Not take Black Taxis in London

As the details of one of these allegedly fraudulent routes don't seem to be forthcoming, I think we can make our own conclusions. My own conclusion is ignorance and paranoia, rather than malice.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Do Not take Black Taxis in London

pinkdaiisy brings up a point I'd been about to ask:

Does doing the Knowledge mean, either on purpose or just by the doing of it, that Black Cab drivers' English is generally good?

I get terribly fed up in my city, on the very rare occasions I take a taxi, because the drivers usually don't know where I'm going, often ask me to direct them, and rarely have enough colloquial English for me to explain it's along here, down a bit, no, that black gate, can you take me to the door, please?

Fair play to people who are working as soon as they get to a country but it's a fairly shoddy service hereabouts. I wondered if the Black Cab experience was better in this regard. Might treat myself next month and see!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,282 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Do Not take Black Taxis in London

I've lived in England for 29 years and in London for 20. I still have a foreign accent, but in all that time, (and more taxis than I can afford) I have had only two taxi drivers try to pull a fast one on me.

I wish cabs were cheaper, but as has been said, on a wet day, with lots of bags, they are a godsend.

nd evn after a long work day, I consider them a wonderful luxury.