We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Cabbies!

Manchester
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Great Cabbies!

I just spent the weekend in London with my mum who's in a wheelchair. We were apprehensive about travelling within London, but found London cabbies to be fantastic - we took 3 cabs in total and each driver was friendly and really helpful. Just wanted to leave this message in case anyone else searches for this sort of info - I know I did before we travelled and found some suggestions that not all cabbies are accomodating of wheelchair passengers. Travelling was much easier than we thought; I hope this is reassuring for anyone else travelling in this situation.

Cheers, Jaynie

london
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Cabbies!

so glad you had such good service ... I know they're not cheap but I think our London black cabs are brilliant

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,434 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Cabbies!

Yep we've had no complaints with them either.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Cabbies!

The only thing I will say is that here in London we have something called Taxicard, which offers subsidised taxi rides for disabled people (people with disabilities, abled, unabled, differently abled, or whatever the term du jour happens to be). Many taxi drivers are great about this, but there are also a lot of them who do not like to accept Taxicard passengers as (a) they do not get paid up front for the full fare and (b) they do not like the hassle of getting the wheelchair in and out of the cab. I have encountered more taxi drivers than I can remember who for one reason or another claimed to be unable to accept a Taxicard passenger, generally alleged computer or mechanical faults. It is possible that in rare instances these excuses are perfectly genuine, but it happens so often that I fear it is unlikely that so many taxi drivers are driving around in faulty vehicles. When I have asked taxi drivers about it they often confirm that many of their colleagues simply do not like accepting Taxicard passengers and will make up any excuse to avoid them. I have even had taxi drivers not even bother to stop: as soon as they see the wheelchair or the Taxicard being held out they shake their heads and carry on driving.

I am pleased that your experience was good, and there are a lot of excellent black cab drivers out there, but there are a lot of less than helpful ones as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Cabbies!

Just a note for others - only those black cabs with the orange & yellow roundel ("target") accept Taxicards

5. Re: Great Cabbies!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:40