We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Someone talk sense to me

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, the...
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Someone talk sense to me

Ok, my 17 yr old son wants to see "Phantom of the Opera". He saw the movie and now thinks he wants to see it in person. My dilemma is this: hubby is definitely going to

fall asleep (doesn't like opera-type music) &

to be honest I'm not crazy about the idea either. We are rock 'n' roll people and basically, I would rather see Blue Man Group

or Stomp. Should we just go ahead and humor

the son (senior this year, about out of the house) or try to talk him into something a little more lively, so we don't snore and embarass him to death? I would rather see "Mary Poppins" (at least I know the songs!). I tried suggesting even "We Will Rock You"...no deal. HELP!!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Someone talk sense to me

It's not your typical opera. I've seen it quite a few times, once in London. Tho you couldn't really compare anyone to Michael Crawford, he literally made me melt.

Go with an open mind, just give it a try, you might like it. :)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Someone talk sense to me

I just checked www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk and they are only booking Phantom through April 1st. Does that mean it's closing? When are you going to London? Maybe it won't be an option.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Someone talk sense to me

If I had a 17yr old son interested in expanding his horizons and seeing a truly wonderful musical - I would certainly go. The staging and "special effects" will keep your interest. Get the CD and listen to the music ahead of time (suggested earlier on another thread) so that you are familiar with the music and you will enjoy it. Teaching your child to be interested in many different genres of music and theatre is a great thing. Go with an open mind. I LOVED this musical when I saw it in NYC.

(wish I could have seen the original cast with the incomparable Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman - sigh)

NH
Level Contributor
190 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Someone talk sense to me

I wasn't really interested in going either, but my two friends really wanted to so I went because I didn't want to be a wet blanket and I absolutely loved it. It is so well done, at the very beginning the organ music absolutely gave me chills and from then on I had no regrets.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Someone talk sense to me

Let me add to the chorus. Phantom is definitely worth seeing live -- the music is fantastic and loud enough to drown out snoring, if you do manage to doze off.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Someone talk sense to me

Grammalg2,

We want to see Phantom too. I think any live production is magical and it is especially true in London. We saw Mary Poppins and enjoyed it, but I don't know if a 17 year-old would. We were also considering Billy Elliot because it has gotten such good reviews.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Someone talk sense to me

I second FSM 100%. I would encourage my child in his interest, not dissuade him.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Someone talk sense to me

Phantom of the Opera is awesome! As noted not a typical opera (which I dislike). The music is powerful! You don't have to know the songs. Just sit back, listen and let the Music of the Night play on.

Jan I agree with you - I wish I could have seen Michael and Sarah in the original! I have a CD of Michael and a couple songs from Phantom are on there. Never get tired of hearing it.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Someone talk sense to me

Can you not compromise? Spend one evening at Phantom with son and he goes with you another evening to a show of your choice. Or are you short of time?

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Someone talk sense to me

If your not prepared to compromise and go with your son surely at 17 he is old enough to go on his own ?? - plenty of English 17 year olds go to functions of all sorts alone - many even go away on holiday without their parents.