We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

Hi - We will be in London in June with our 18 year old nephew. He is smart, loves music and rock and roll. What are some fun things he might enjoy and what show would be best to see? I was in London 25 years ago and remember a rock and roll museum but can't seem to find it now. thank you!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

If he likes rock music, for a show he will probably like We will Rock You. The story incorporates the music of Queen and is high energy. We took a couple of 18/19 year old Italian lads and they loved it. You can also get 2-for-1 tickets via the daysoutguide (load more attractions on there as well). To qualify, you need valid train tickets or travelcards (for bus, tube, etc travel) purchased from a train station (not tube station). Theatre tickets need to be booked in advance:

www.daysoutguide.co.uk/we-will-rock-you . which is stroy

Edited: 07 March 2012, 13:41
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,060 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

You might want to check out a 'rock' tour of London:

http://www.londonrocktours.com/

or perhaps hunt down some landmarks of your own (Abbey Road, Jimi Hendrix's abode, Denmark St etc).

As well as WWRY there is Rock of Ages (not sure if this is acceptable to 'proper' music fans, just a suggestion!)

And maybe check out any bands/perfomers playing while you are here:

www.timeout.com/london/concert-tickets/

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

And do take him to a pub - nothing to do with rock but part of our culture.

London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

I think the rock and roll museum you may be referring to would be the Rock Circus at the Trocadero in Piccadilly Circus, but that closed down years ago.

An obvious choice to visit might be the original Hard Rock cafe near Hyde Park corner. Also might like to check out Denmark Street for guitar shops, and Berwick Street in Soho for second hand record shops.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 16:33
London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

Might want to check out new/up and coming bands at some of the music venues below; usually no need to book up in advance, just turn up and take a chance on whether the bands will be any good or not! As advised above, Time Out will give a comprehensive listing of gigs nearer the time.

visitlondon.com/attractions/…live-music-bars

Edited: 07 March 2012, 16:39
Essex
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

The Hard Rock Cafe, mentioned by EB above, on Picadilly (which is the original Hard Rock Cafe, by the way) has it's own Rock Museum "The Vault" This is accessed via their shop in the old Coutts Bank building next door to the Restaurant:

www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes3/cafe.aspx…

The Restaurant itself is also packed with memorabilia.

What other kind of 'stuff' does he like (and what do you like??) This is the sort of thread to keep TALFers happy for days!!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

There is the British Music Experience museum out at the O2 in North Greenwich (accessible by Jubilee line, rail, bus and riverboats). See if you can combine it with a concert at the arena or a gig at the somewhat more intimate Indigo, which is part of the complex. http://www.britishmusicexperience.com/

London Walks do a Beatles themed walk too www.walks.com (not sure if they add in any anecdotes about other musicians etc).

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

Your nephew might be interested to visit the 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll' store located on Baker Street,London.It's a shop with loads of memorabilia about music going back to Elvis,Chuck Berry,Rolling Stones,The Who,Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd,Hendrix through to The Jam,Nirvana,Oasis,Stone Roses and much more.On the other side of the road,is 'The Beatles Store'.Both very interesting shops and worth a look at.There's also Sherry's at Ganton St,just off Carnaby St,which is full of memorabilia from the 60's i.e,clothes,records etc.,The Small Faces,The Who,Kinks,Hendrix and so on.If you visit this shop,just down from there is a good 50's place to eat called 'The Diner' which I took my son to last year for his birthday.Nice food at cheap prices with rock n roll music playing in the background........

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

Thanks for the advice - All sound great - I think we need more than 5 days!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best show/activities to see with 18 year old nephew?

haha.. I am taking my own almost 18 yr old budding rock guitarist to the Hard Rock on Easter Saturday. The Vault is definitely the main attraction and you are allowed to be photographed with one of the display items! Oh my word, I expect it'll be a Hendrix guitar!!

I also suggest The Eye for a visit; the London Dungeon is excellent for history, a very good trip (if a little gory at times, but clever with actors playing the parts), get tickets in advance.

There is also the show Wicked.. which is meant to be, err...

Dependent on whether he is going on to University/College or has an interest in something else specific, you could also build into your trip something that might be useful, eg, a trip to visit Shakespeare's Globe theatre, or the Cabinet War Rooms (secret underground) where Churchill operated. Just a thought. Interesting anyway - then you can walk to the Palace, Horse Guards parade, that type of thing.