We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train to edinburgh

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
crozet, virginia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
train to edinburgh

I need info on the type of ticket to purchase. My wife and I will be going from Kings Cross to Edinburgh. She will be flying back, but I will be staying for 3 more weeks.I will then return from Edinburgh to Kings Cross. Also, would you explain the different travel classes. Thank you.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train to edinburgh

virginiateacher: There are usually two different train classes: First (more expensive and less crowded) and Standard (similar to coach on a plane).

If you go to www.nationalrail.co.uk, use the Journey Planner to plug in London and Edinburgh and put in your likely dates. A few routes and times will appear. If you then click on fare options, you will see what is available to buy and an explanation for each choice of ticket. You can then select a vendor, then click on purchase tickets, and you will be sent to that vendor's website.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train to edinburgh

LeeB has given you all the pertinent details, so I'll give you a personal experience. In 1999 we took the overnight train to Edinburgh-Waverly, and slept in pull down bunks. It was fantastic! Our kids had just seen Chariots of Fire (where one of the main characters, runner Eric Liddell sleeps on the same train) and so it was a real highlight for them. My daughter was four at the time, eleven now, and it's one of the only things she remembers. I recommend it as a way to have a memorable trip, get a good night sleep, and get your travel done without losing precious daylight.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train to edinburgh

First is more comfy and second just standard. If you book you will get a reserved seat so no worries about getting sat down.

Check this web site

www.thetrainline.com

and search for your chosen date / time. Note that you can only buy train tickets 3 months in advance max. You can book through this site and pick up at your station as well and it should give you the best deals. Oh and always check two singles is often cheaper than a return (don't ask - the british rail service is seriously messed up)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,760 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train to edinburgh

If you go first class you get free tea/coffee from a steward, free Wifi on board (if it's provided on that particular train) and table lamps.

If you go standard class you get a trolley of maxpax and crisps passing your seat occasionally, pay for Wifi, and no table lamps.

crozet, virginia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train to edinburgh

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I can't make my reservations until Thursday since you need to be within 3 months of your travel date.Anyway, the advice you all give makes this process so much easier.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train to edinburgh

Another tip for non-UK residents. You have to create an account first, otherwise it asks for a post code and doesn't recognize non-UK codes.

Also, they won't mail the tickets outside the UK, so you need to pick them up at the station. Be sure to print out the confirmation and bring the credit card you bought the tickets with. There have been reports of people not being able to pick up their tickets. I didn't have an issue myself, but doing this should prevent any problems for you.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train to edinburgh

carrymetolondon, was your ticket for first class or coach? I was just wondering if both have pull down bunks available.

By the way, I love your screen name :)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: train to edinburgh

I'm really not sure. We were travelling with my parents, who made those arrangements. But it really was a wonderful part of the trip!

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
32 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train to edinburgh

I recently purchased 2 Standard Advance tickets for the GNER train from London to Edinburgh for a total of 25 GBP for both. I did opt to pick up the tickets at Kings Cross using a Fast Ticket machine.

I had a heck of a time purchasing the tickets due to the system not recognizing my Arizona zip code, even after creating an account. After repeated e-mails to GNER, I tried other sites and was able to make a purchase through Virgin.

Good luck,

Jeff

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train to edinburgh

'Pull down bunks' ?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we have any sleeper trains here in the UK any more. All seating.