We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which London based football club would you recommend?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Cruces
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which London based football club would you recommend?

I suppose this question might be contentious, but I was hoping for a recommendation on which football club to see. I'm looking at traveling to London in the Fall of 2012 or possibly the following Spring. One thing I definately would like to do is take in a football match. With that said, I was curious which clubs have the best atmosphere and would have reasonably good tickets available at a decent price. I'd probably prefer a Premeirship club, but not necessarily one of the top sides.

I may not know when I can travel until a few months prior, so that might be an issue with getting tickets. Also obviously the schedule will come into play and won't be known until later this year.

If you had any suggestions of where to look to sit for a given club, that would be appreciated as well.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which London based football club would you recommend?

My personal choice.

www.fulhamfc.com/

Kent
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which London based football club would you recommend?

Agree about Fulham, their ground has an nice friendly atmosphere.

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which London based football club would you recommend?

For the big clubs arsenal,Chelsea, spurs you might have difficulty getting tickets all depends on when you want to watch a game and if they at home and who they playing.... Do agree with fulham being a good choice or the way west ham are doing I expect them to be back in premier league next season so that will be another choice or QPR if they stop up

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which London based football club would you recommend?

Best stadium: Arsenal without doubt, very impressive indeed. Though the atmosphere isn't there yet as the noisy fans from Highbury are still finding their places at the new ground, it always takes a good few seasons after a new build for the atmos to build again.

Best atmosphere: QPR. The ground is so tight against the pitch, and so steep, that the noise is full on. They're passionate fans too, if you're an away fan you'll get some verbals there!

Worst atmosphere: Fulham. I do have a soft spot for Fulham but that's purely based on the fact they're easy to get tickets for, they offend no-one, they play half decent football, and it's a lovely part of town. The stadium is actually pretty rubbish (I'll get the "but it has character" argument in a minute. It doesn't, it has one bit of character in one corner) and the fans are quietish. On the upside it's the very easiest way you'll get to see a Premier League match in London generally speaking (opposition will dictate how easy).

As Si says, your choice will pretty much be made for you by who is playing who. A Chelsea home fixture against say, Man United, means you'll be watching on TV.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which London based football club would you recommend?

Fulham's ground is right alongside the River Thames (literally on the banks of the Thames).

If you get a seat in the riverside stand then you can go into the area behind the stand where you can buy an alcoholic drink, and watch a match on TV (if there is one playing before the match), and also, if it is a nice day, lean on the wall and watch the boats and rowers going up and down the river.

I go now and again (my brother is a season ticket holder) and we often get there an hour before the game and stand behind the riverside stand relaxing, it is very pleasant.

Bishops Park is also alongside the ground and if you get off at Putney Bridge tube station it is pleasant 15 minute walk through the park (alongside the river) to get to the ground.

The ground is also quite small and the fans close to the pitch so you get a great atmosphere if you get a seat near the front of the riverside stand.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 19:51
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which London based football club would you recommend?

If the Big Clubs tickets arn't available you could always try on of the Championship teams - hopefully Charlton will be back there by your visit. Good ground in South London just along from Greenwich.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,921 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which London based football club would you recommend?

Forget the Premier League - try a decent lower league team like AFC Wimbledon.

Affordable and friendly atmosphere. ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which London based football club would you recommend?

Premiership tickets are generally expensive.

Personally I would recommend Arsenal, Tottenham, QPR or Chelsea.

Fulham will be the easiest to get tickets for but the atmosphere is usually poor.

If you drop down to the lower leagues then West ham is always a good day out although they may well be back in the top flight by next season.

If I had to rank them:

Arsenal (my team, probably not an objective answer)

Tottenham

QPR

West Ham

Chelsea

Crystal Palace

Charlton

Millwall

Fulham

Brentford

Probably missed someone off the list, apologies.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which London based football club would you recommend?

Fulham without a doubt ,,,tickets are not so difficult to get hold of, and the stadium is nice and compact. Iffy Michael Jackson statue though.......

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which London based football club would you recommend?

Brentford. You'll meet real Londoners, which odd though it may seem, is something you may not do if just staying in London.

Mike