We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Waldorf or le Meridien Piccadilly or W Leicester Squa

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hilton Waldorf or le Meridien Piccadilly or W Leicester Squa

I'm done to these choices and I know these are rated as 5 stars there are lot of reviews that suggest that they are not. However, to me that's not the issue for me.

i'm looking for location, i like covent gardens alot, like the strand area so i'm leaning towards the hilton Waldorf. To me the that part of Piccadily street and Leicester seem too bustling......

Anyone out there confirm that that I should stick with the hilton or sway me to choose the other two???

Buckingham Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Waldorf or le Meridien Piccadilly or W Leicester Squa

I should also add that my circumstance is that I require two rooms with two beds in each, require an early and a late check in and don't want to go beyond 200's ..... but also not into rustic places.....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,881 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Waldorf or le Meridien Piccadilly or W Leicester Squa

I wouldn't choose to stay in Leicester Square, it has very little appeal to me. The W Hotel sounds quite nice, but once outside the entrance is where the rot sets in. Le Meridien has had a bit of a refurbishment, but again the location is one that will appeal to some and not so much to others.

That leaves the Hilton Waldorf in the Aldwych. Of the three you mention it would be my first choice; if you like Covent Garden and the Strand then it sounds like you should book the hotel and enjoy your stay there.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 21:46
Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Waldorf or le Meridien Piccadilly or W Leicester Squa

I really love the Hilton Waldorf, always have ever since I came to London. And focussing on your particular question, I don't think you can really beat being on the Strand / Aldwych, it's hard to be more central...

Le Meridien Piccadilly is one I usually like when people have mid budgets but I base that mainly on the location (I like Piccadilly and St James), it's nothing really special as a hotel. It's not 5 star in my book, more like a 4, and if you hate the bustle there, then you hate it, it's never much different.

I've not been in the W Leicester Square but it's a nasty place to put a hotel, knowing what you like it's just not your thing.

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Waldorf or le Meridien Piccadilly or W Leicester Squa

thanks for your feedback...question for you outside of the hotel can you suggest good breakfast places close by to the hilton.....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,881 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Waldorf or le Meridien Piccadilly or W Leicester Squa

The Delaunay is almost next door to the Waldorf Hilton. It's a bit pricey but you might like it for a pastry and cup of coffee or tea. There's a branch of Leon in the Strand that has a decent breakfast menu. Pret a Manger and EAT are nearby as well, both of which have porridge and other morning food available.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,924 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Waldorf or le Meridien Piccadilly or W Leicester Squa

Enjoy the Waldorf.

UK
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Waldorf or le Meridien Piccadilly or W Leicester Squa

For location difficult to equal Le Meridien & neither it nor Waldorf merit 5 star.Over the years things have moved westwards WC 2 and Strand is no longer as sought after as in past - hence the former Tax Inspector sadly now in fiscal difficulties was able to buy the Savoy Hotel across Rd from Waldorf then sell it to a Middle East billionaire few months later . As for Breakfast - at Le Meridien one could go to Wolesey who own Delaunays which recently opened interesting to know if recs come from personal experience since for what you get ambience food service etc Delaunays is not pricey for London anyway. Under no circs chose W the exact opposite is true as alleged here inside it is not with out its attractions if bit lurid but location is dreadful . The Hotel W is built on location of former well known restaurant but location killed it just asScotts a most famous fish place had to move westwards to Mayfair as LS location went into reverse exponenytialy over the years

Chacun a son gout some like Benidorm or Aya Napa!

Good luck Regmaiche [ current aroundDec/ Feb 2011/2 ]

8. Re: Hilton Waldorf or le Meridien Piccadilly or W Leicester Squa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:41