We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer: Must haves...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
32 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Beer: Must haves...

As evidenced in my screen name, I am a huge beer fan. This is one of the main reasons for a trip to London and Edinburgh. I am curious as to what are the "must have" beers in London?

I see that Fullers and Youngs beers are about everywhere. What beers should I not miss?

Thanks,

Jeff

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer: Must haves...

Beersnob ~ you are going to get SO many answers to this question, so before the true experts hop in and give you the low down, I'll tell you my favorites. Cask ale is just fantastic and my favorite is Youngs (lots of different Youngs varieties, I like the basic original bitter the best). And the pubs are wonderful! Have fun!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer: Must haves...

FSM is absolutely right, this thread may well go on for quite some time.

I may even be adding fuel to an eventual fire here by saying my favourite beer is Belgian. You'll find it in London, it's starting to be stocked by alot more pubs than it used to be. Get your hands on a bottle of Duvel if you can find it or Chimay (the White Label variety is best).

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer: Must haves...

I'll have to try that Henneth, can we get it here in the backwoods? Enjoying my last bottle of Hobgoblin tonight after moving mountains of white stuff all day!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer: Must haves...

I can find Duvel at the local winery just outside the 'burg but World Market should have everything from Youngs to Sam Smiths to Chimay, if you have one in your locale.

There's a 'discount liquor store' in KC where I get all my stuff and it does a good range of UK and Belgian ales but the word 'discount' is a term I'd use loosely, the local Boulevard brewery stuff is sold there at $6.50 for a six pack, that's 50c more expensive than the price in my local gas station. However it does sell Theakston's Old Peculiar which is something I'd recommend Beersnob to try whilst in London, it's a potent Yorkshire brew.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer: Must haves...

just do some research and turn up when the london beer fest is on.

My recommendation would be theakstons Grousebeater. if you have the time one overnoight stay in brussels ghent or antwerp for as much beer asd you wish to have at reasonable price.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer: Must haves...

Great Breweries

Theakstons

Marsdons

Youngs

Fullers

Hobgoblin

Pedigree

Badger

Batemans

There is loads of info on the Campaign for real Ale (CAMRA) web site, this will also tell you when any beerfests are on and have a good range of books about beers and english pubs. Theres even one called the London Pub Walk Guide which might be right up your street.

www.camra.org.uk

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer: Must haves...

I think a snob should stick to the cask ales while visiting pubs England. Even if a pub has cask ales you will be lucky if you have 4 to choose from. My strategy is to order anything other than Youngs for Fullers when available since there will be many occasions where Youngs or Fullers are the the only offers. Nothing against either beer, but I enjoy variety.

Adnams is my favorite brand. If you are near Tower Bridge there is the only Adnams pub just on the south side where they had 4 different kinds of Adnams in cask.

The only cask ale I would avoid is "McMullen", I had it once and found it dreadful.

And of course, don't skip the bottled beers, but I suggest getting those at a shop so you can maximize your cask ale experience. Also I've seen few bottled beers in the UK that I have not also seen, at one time or another, in the US.

Fancyapint.com is, in my opinion, the best web site for pub research for your visit. I even download it to my PDA.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer: Must haves...

This beer talk is making me...what's the word...thirsty? I have only just realized that it has been 7 days since I've had a beer. They might revoke my residency permit if I let it go much longer. Looks like a long walk across the moor for me later to the pub.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer: Must haves...

Agree with Jack - fancyapint.com is the best source for pub info. It will give you info on different beers as well. As with FSM Young's is well worth it.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer: Must haves...

I'm an Old Peculiar fan too. Also Old Speckled Hen and Bishop's Finger. (The latter more for the name then anything else. I traditionally buy a bottle of it to eat with Stinking Bishop cheese.)

If you want to try Belgian style beer, The Greenwich Union in Greenwich has what fancyapint.com calls "a unique range of superb beer from the nearby Meantime Brewery..." They give tasters and I had a very good pint of the raspberry beer which went well with lunch.