We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Books that get you in the London spirit

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
309 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Books that get you in the London spirit

Looking for a book recommendation for the plane ride over. What's your favorite book set in London..about London....London history - fiction or non? Not looking for travel books really - just a good read.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Books that get you in the London spirit

Hi linc82

try this thread

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k51…

Seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Books that get you in the London spirit

Great question! I've been doing something similar - watching a lot of movies set in London so I can see where I will be. It's been heavy on the period dramas but also a little Sliding Doors and Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Books that get you in the London spirit

If we're going to get into the vision side of things... then I'd have to say one of the essential viewing TV series would be Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. ...a public (civil) servant's training manual :o) Vital preparation for a visit to Westminster surely. :o)

If we start individually listing period dramas that are fabulous we'll be here all day! Though I have to say for London I have a special fondness for The Duchess of Duke Street. Not that you see all that much in the way of exteriors... but it is set in London.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Books that get you in the London spirit

>>If we're going to get into the vision side of things... <<

There was a thread relating to this recently, too.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k50346…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Books that get you in the London spirit

If you like rock music or sport then "High Fidelity" or "Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby.

Both were adapted and made into movies for the US market. But the original books are completely London. High Fidelity was about the London indie music scene (not Chicago) and Fever Pitch is about a lifelong supporter of Arsenal FC (not the Boston Red Sox).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Books that get you in the London spirit

Hotel Babylon by Imogen Edwards Jones is an interesting take on life in the high end hotels of London. More a page turner than a serious read.

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Books that get you in the London spirit

Just before our trips to london i always get a guide book to read,i know they mostly contain the same information but they just get me in the mood for our trip

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Books that get you in the London spirit

Yes, there was a similar thread recently, but the OP had rather specific requirements about the book having been set as close to the present day as possible, and she had a preference for crime, romance, and family saga.

I recommended it before, and I'll recommend it again: Alan Hollinghurst, The Line of Beauty. It is one of the best novels I have ever read and probably the best novel set in London that I have ever read. As I said before, the evocations of London -- Notting Hill (including the carnival and the Portobello Road), Mayfair, Belgravia, Bloomsbury, Westminster, Hampstead (including the heath), Highgate, and even Willesden -- are amazingly vivid. It also fills in important areas of British social and political history.

That is my top recommendation.

9. Re: Books that get you in the London spirit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 05:42