We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Travel Plans

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Travel Plans

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to London in early September. I just got an email from TravelZoo with a great deal on airfare on a new airline called MaxJet. They are a 100% business-class airline. The special is $750 total price (including all taxes and fees) round trip, per person between NYC and London.

It flies into Stansted airport, which I've never heard of before. However, I've been looking on this site and I see that the public transit between central London and Stansted is somewhat dicey, particularly on weekends?

I wanted to fly in on a Wed, and I wanted to catch a return flight leaving Stansted on Sunday morning at 10:00. So, would I be better off booking my last night at a hotel at the airport, or is it reasonable to assume I could get to the airport Sunday morning in time to catch my flight? Would there be any great benefit to staying one more day and leaving on Monday morning instead?

Also, if we decide to stay in London on Saturday night, could someone recommend a nice moderately-priced (under $250/night)hotel which would be convenient for sightseeing (near the tube)and also for catching the train or bus to the airport on Sunday morning?

Thanks!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Travel Plans

Transport between London and Stansted isn't "dicey", how do you think the 25 million people who use the airport every year get to it?

Your main options are

Stansted Express to Liverpool Street Station

www.stanstedexpress.co.uk

National Express coach to Victoria coach station via various points in C. London

www.nationalexpress.co.uk

Terravision coaches to Victoria or Liverpool street.

www.lowcostcoach.com

Don't worry about getting to the airport for the early morning. Many Ryanair and Easyjet flights leave at 6am so lots of people have to get there in the middle of the night and the transport options run reflecting this.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Travel Plans

Hi,

The only reason I said that (dicey) was reading the posts here, which were talking about the train being replaced by a bus frequently on the weekends, and that was causing "chaos" and people missing flights. So, I was concerned about getting there early on a Sunday morning.

I'll check into the links you mentioned, though. Thanks.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Travel Plans

Stansted is a small airport compaired to Heathrow, but that makes finding everything and getting around it very easy.

As previously said there are many ways of getting there. There best option depends on where you are staying.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,236 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Travel Plans

I can understand your concern regarding getting to Stansted on a weekend. The bus replacement service has had it's problems should the SE not be running but if it is, the first train departs Liverpool Street at 4.30am on a Sunday.

There is a Radisson hotel attached to the airport should you prefer to stay the night close by although I might be tempted to wait to make sure the SE is running that weekend. If it is then you should be able to get a very good deal at a hotel close to Liverpool Street. The area around the station is in the financial area known as The City and being a weekend, when the suits are elsewhere, you should be able to get a very good deal at a top hotel.

The Great Eastern is the old Victorian station hotel which has been beautifully restored to 5 star glory by Terence Conran. He has just sold it to a major chain. Currently they have rooms at the weekend at £140.00. There are other nice hotels within walking distance of the station but on the downside it would be quiet compared to the West End.

One more day of course would allow you to see more of London which can't be a bad thing!

Hope that helps,

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Travel Plans

The coach is a fairly cheap option compared to the train and takes less than an hour from Stratford on a Sunday morning or 1hr 30 from Central London as the traffic should be fairly light. Coaches are every 1/2 hour or more frequent, even through the night.