We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First thoughts on short trip to London end May

Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First thoughts on short trip to London end May

We (daughter in her late twenties and I) will be landing at Heathrow at 3:50 in the afternoon from Vienna and will probably take the Heathrow Express to Paddington (Rhodes Hotel). How long should we calculate to get through security?

My daughter's main interests are landscape architecture, photography and book shops. My interests: maybe an exhibition - (Dickens or Tower Bridge incl. a walk across?), a walking tour (must still do some research) and a morning in Greenwich (nearly forgot that). Also an afternoon in Hampstead for time out to do some trips down memory lane. I guess by the time we check-in there won't be much time to do anything nearby that first evening, except possibly a meal and a quick walk in Hyde Park? How long is the Park open?

A whole day will be taken up by a workshop and two evenings we will meet with friends living in London.

1. Is it cheaper to get the tickets from Heathrow, or on-line?

2. My daughter might be more interested in going to Kew than to Chelsea Flower Show - would a morning at Kew be enough and what would be a good thing to tie in on the way back? How long is the travel time? Can one get two tickets for the price of one for Kew?

3. Are there any ballets on at that time: I did look some weeks ago but only found performances over Xmas (Festival Ballet).

4. Went to Portobello Road as a 10-yr-old - is it worth going to or are some of the other markets more interesting?

Usually days and plans are pretty interchangeable, depening what's open and what we feel like doing. I am attending a full-day workshop one day and meeting friends two evenings, so that will take up quite a bit of my/our time.

The time will surely go extremely fast.

Once I have some info on the above, I will start to plan some kind of itinerary.

Many thanks for any feedback

Lizby

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Alternative London
Lessons & Workshops, Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Food Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First thoughts on short trip to London end May

The Royal Ballet dates at the Royal Opera House..........

http://www.roh.org.uk/season/1112/ballet.aspx

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First thoughts on short trip to London end May

Lizby, unless I've missed something in your post, you do not tell us when exactly the two of you are visiting London. Though there seems to be an implicit suggestion that it will be around the time of the Chelsea Flower Show (which, seemingly, would appeal less to your daughter than a trip to Kew Gardens).

So, if you can provide details of your travel dates, you will get some good advice from the regulars on this forum.

Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First thoughts on short trip to London end May

Insightful, thanks for pointing out about the dates, we'll be there from 24 - 30 May, which really isn't terribly long for London.

Such a shame about Alice in Wonderland. That would have been perfect :) Not on when we are there.

Thanks for any feedback

Lizby

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First thoughts on short trip to London end May

Bump (to place this back on the first page).

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,317 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First thoughts on short trip to London end May

If you want to do some guided walks, look into

http://www.walks.com/

They have 2 hour themed walks of London; fairly certain there is one on Dickens, and I am sure there are other themes as well.

For used books, try Cecil Court. Foyle's Books is also not to be missed.

Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First thoughts on short trip to London end May

Thank you, LauraRW, will check that out this evening. The walks sound really good. Had forgotten about Foyles - was taken there as a child ...

Kind regards

Lizby

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First thoughts on short trip to London end May

If you like Matthew Bourne ballets there is his New Adventures on at Sadler's Wells at the end of May.

8. Re: First thoughts on short trip to London end May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2013, 09:23