We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Fine Stay - Sloane Gardens flat

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
117 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
One Fine Stay - Sloane Gardens flat

I have been researching the perfect flat for my late fall vacation with DH. It's his first trip to London and he is not a good traveller. I had hoped to find a nice flat near Big Ben but after much searching learned that short lets are not common in that area.

Has anyone ever stayed here?

www.onefinestay.com/home/sloane-gardens/

The area seems nice and quiet, and yet VERY close to tube/bus/taxi. Since DH has a bum ankle, we will be using transport rather than walking, making proximity a primary concern. I don't love that it's basement but I do love the King bed, wi-fi, dishwasher, and w/d (even if i have little expectation of figuring out how to use the w/d -- these instructions never translate into American English).

We are in our 50s, will be staying 10 days, arriving from Heathrow, and looking for the primary tourist sites. We will be taking day trips by train to Windsor and either train or boat to Portsmouth. But I do expect DH to spend a significant amount of time in the flat while i will perhaps toodle about on my own. So he needs to be comfy and price is not a primary focus for us..

Any thoughts on this choice before I pull the trigger?

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One Fine Stay - Sloane Gardens flat

I'm sure it's a nice flat, but I put a test booking for the first week of september in and it quoted a 'discounted' rate of £443 per night! That's very expensive even for where it is.

You say you couldn't find anything near Big Ben, but did you look across the bridge? I know there are rental flats near the London Eye and a few along the river in St.Georges Wharf that have nice river views ( some include BB) that would be half of that price and you'd be able to take buses and tubes easily.

This is the sort of flat I mean, although I think it may be booked for late autumn.

http://www.vrbo.com/78620

For the money you'd save, you could be extravagant and take cabs everywhere! :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One Fine Stay - Sloane Gardens flat

I think that is a good area, lots of local and gastro pubs, good restaurants and very close to the tube. A couple of farmers' markets (Saturday) are very close. A nice, upscale neighborhood as well.

Consider the flats F&C has on offer on Sloane Gardens as well:

http://farnum-christ.com/sloane-gardens-1

http://farnum-christ.com/sloane-gardens-2

http://farnum-christ.com/sloane-garden-grdn

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Fine Stay - Sloane Gardens flat

I've stayed in the flat linked by Trillian and it was brilliant - lovely and bright, clean, good kitchen, flat screen tele, a large balcony overlooking the Thames, a Tesco Express in the complex and tube/station outside as well as buses. From memory, we paid £165 a night in September 2009.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Fine Stay - Sloane Gardens flat

Thanks for your quick replies. It is a very expensive flat, you're right Trillian. I'm hoping to get what i'm paying for. I did look at a few flats across the bridge but they were much further from tube stations. If i recall correctly, for example, the southern entrance to Westminster is still quite a hike from the the turnstiles. I did like the views, tho!

And i looked at all those FC offerings, Tex. One didnt have a King bed, one had "direct access" to a communal garden that would make me skittish for safety's sake, and another had furniture that looked a little formal and uncomfortable. It's so hard to make choices based on a few photos and words, but there ya go.

Glad to know that there are restaurants nearby my current selection. It looks to be a very residential locale which is great for peace and quiet but not so good for a nice evening out.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Fine Stay - Sloane Gardens flat

...plus i could not bring myself to do vrbo flats. It's difficult enough for me to stay in a flat rather than a hotel!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One Fine Stay - Sloane Gardens flat

Just out of interest, why couldn't you bring yourself 'to do' VRBO flats? What puts you off?

7. Re: One Fine Stay - Sloane Gardens flat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 09:30