We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

After arriving at Heathrow and picking up our rental car, we'll be heading towards Hampton Court Palace. Is there a grocery store enroute where we can stock up on bottled water, snacks and a good map of Engand and Wales? I've heard of Asda and Tesco. Does one supermarket have better deals overall on food and gasoline? On our return trip from York, is there a good place to fill up with gas nearby before returning our rental car to Heathrow?

I don't know about Great Britain, but gasoline prices here in the states have really jumped the past month. Thanks for your help.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

There is a 24 hour Tesco at -

Dukes Green Avenue, Feltham, Greater London. TW14 0LH - just off the A312 aka Faggs Rd.

The last time I returned a rental car at Heathrow - I drove around like an idiot in random places looking for cheaper gas, and eventually filled up right by the airport for a few pence more.

Britain always has expensive gas...try and get a diesel car when you pick up your rental. The price is the same but it takes you further.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

There is a massive Sainsbury's (with plenty of parking) at 303 Uxbridge Road in Hampton Hill. Along with the other usual suspects there is a hot food (to take away) counter, a salad bar, bakery and plenty of choice of food and drink.

I prefer Sainsbury's, Waitrose and Marks & Spencer food halls or M&S Simply Food to Tesco or Asda, but others' views will vary. Competition in pricing is strong, and when one shop lowers prices the others usually follow.

Petrol prices have risen in the UK as well. Expect to pay about £1.40 per litre or £5.29 per US gallon.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

I'm with TP--Sainsburys, Waitrose and M&S food halls are a lot nicer, easier to navigate and a more pleasant experience Than Tesco and Asda.

Tesco is more of a Walmart food experience.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,586 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

Indeed I prefer Sainsbury's Marks and Spencer and Waitrose food, but you do pay more for it that Asda and Tesco.

Bel
London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

The Tesco on the a312 and the sainsbury's at Hampton hill, both mentioned above, are the easiest ones to get to between heathrow & hampton court. Of the two, the sainsbury's is bigger and nicer. It also has a small Starbucks. From there, you would drive on down to Hampton court in about 15 mins.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

1. Do NOT select a diesel car, or at any rate don't go out of your way to do so. Unlike much of mainland Europe, Britain doesn't tweak its petrol tax policy to favour diesel, and as a result the diesel/petrol price relationship fluctuates widely. Right now, diesel costs at least 10% more than petrol, and this more or less wipes out the economic case for using it

2. Don't waste energy (or fuel) trying to find a proper supermarket for the things you've indicated. Prices (and the range available) for the things you've indicated at most petrol stations are more or less the same as in the relatively tricky to access major stores. A growing number of convenience stores on petrol stations are Tesco, M&S or Waitrose operations anyway. No-one in their right mind does their week's shopping at a petrol station - but diverting several miles through Greater London traffic to save 3p on a Cadbury's chocolate bar is equally deranged - and financially counter-productive.

3. This may or may not apply to petrol. Few London area supermarkets sell it at all (it generally makes sense for supermarkets only in locations with cheap and easily available land), ALL supermarket fuel outlets are some distance from major highways (even if sometimes visible from them) and fuel majors like Shell routinely subsidise their immediately adjacent outlets down to more or less the supermarket price. There isn't one visible at all from the basic (A64/A1/M1/M25/M4) route from York to Heathrow

Even if finding it didn't cost you more than the benefit, filling up at the cheapest possible petrol station for the few litres you top up with at the end is far less important than the two fundamental rules:

- NEVER fill up at a motorway service station, where petrol premiums are eye-watering

- Make sure you DO top up before turning the car in.

Personally, I'd fill up on the way back down south, then re-top up at any random petrol station near LHR along the A30 (the road running outside T4)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

There is actually a Tesco metro on the A4 in Cranford - only a couple of miles oustide the airport - however, it is small and as you are en-route to Hampton the one in Feltham would be a good choice as it's big and has reasonable fuel prices. You could equally fill the car here when returning it.

However, if you think fuel is expensive in the US the fuel prices here have also jumped considerably, and I suspect you will be in for a shock when you discover that unleaded fuel is currently exceeding £1.40/ltr and diesel is exceeding £1.50/ltr in places.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

I drive a diesel car, and while it is correct that diesel

is a bit more expensive the MPG is about 30/40 % more than on an almost identical petrol car and far superior to any petrol car I have owned.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,620 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

Snacks can be picked up at the airport -we use T5 and often get our milk and bread whilst waiting for our driver to pick us up (M&S)

Its possible that WH Smiths will have a map as well (also has branches at the airport)-but we did buy ours from a "gas " station.

we also have a diesel car -wonderful MPG

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery store closest to Heathrow for snacks and a good map

There is a petrol station and M&S shop at Hampton Court Bridge, about 400 yards south of HCP, on Hampton Court Way.

But, you will no doubt pass a Tesco, Sainsbury's and even a Waitrose, en route.

Can't help with current UK prices, but where I am, its 75p a litre! (runs away and hides...)