We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. If you had to choose.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
Level Contributor
282 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. If you had to choose.

Any thoughts on which one to see.

We may be able to do both but if we cannot, which one would be the

MUST SEE

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,821 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. If you had to choose.

I've visited both many, many times, and think they are both wonderful.

As other posters point out, it also depends what you want in your visit.

Windsor is a Castle, HCP is not.

HCP has re-enactors and Tudor kitchens with recreated dishes and food.

Windsor is where many monarchs, including Henry VIII and his favorite wife, are buried. The Order of the Garter, the oldest order of Knights in the world, meets in St. George's Chapel, and Heads of State are greeted and dine in St. George's hall.

Windsor is the actual residence of the Monarch, and has been for nearly 900 years.

They are both very worthwhile days, and they both have lovely grounds to walk in--HCP has beautiful gardens, and Windsor has Windsor Great Park.

The only piece of advice I will give you is this--do your research, but do not be tempted to try to do them both in one day. You will shortchange both properties, paying quite a bit to spend the least amount of time in both of them, and looking at your watch all day.

Visiting Windsor Castle:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

http://www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. If you had to choose.

FWIW, I've been to HCP at least 4 times over the years, and Windsor Castle twice. I would vote for HCP over Windsor . As others have noted, though, it really depends on your interests. I have a deep interest in Tudor history, so HCP just "does it' for me. I find Windsor Castle interesting, and I adore St. George's Chapel, but I didn't get the same connection at Windsor.

Either way, you'll have a great time, and see something you can't see anywhere else in the world!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. If you had to choose.

I'm choosing Hampton Court Palace because I am hugely fascinated by the Tudors. I'm saving Windsor Castle for my next trip :-)

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. If you had to choose.

Hampton Court, been about 6 times and my 7th will be Thursday since I dind't have enough time last year.

What I personally like(thought that might also be because I'm dutch) is that is a two part castle. You have the Tudor part, but also the part of William and Mary. I like the contrast between the who. Plus there are the Georgian apartments as well.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,821 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. If you had to choose.

I hope you have a lovely time.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. If you had to choose.

Another vote for Windsor. It is my favorite castle! I also LOVE the town of Windsor. Great place to wander and shop. The old station had market type stalls, there are designer shops , department stores and unique shops, too. It is easy to walk, and the pubs and restaurants are excellent.

Boston...
Level Contributor
908 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. If you had to choose.

Windsor. There's so much more to do in the area and the fact that it's a working castle to me wins hands down.

I've been to Windsor four times and HCP once. I feel Windsor is more worthwhile.

18. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court. If you had to choose.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:15