We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

My husband and I would like take a day visiting Cambridge during our visit to London. We stay with a friend at St. John's Wood and we can use her car. Just wondering which is the more convenient way to Cambridge.

Thanks!

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

Err, which Boston is home, US or UK?

London
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

How comfortable would you be driving in London traffic? The route from St John's Wood may appear fairly straightforward (A41, then A406 North Circular, then M11), but these are very congested roads. Personally, I would let the train take the strain.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

Personally, I would take the train. You can go straight from London to Canterbury and be within walking distance of the city center and Canterbury Cathedral. You can spend the journey enjoying the view from the train window rater than watching the road and trying to remember to drive on the left. You won't have to look for places to park or worry about the security of your freind's car. I don't know how the cost of train tickets compar to the cost of the gas for the car, but unless it's an extreme difference, I'd recommend the train.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

It's Cambridge not Canterbury! But I agree with everyone else - go by train.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,461 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

Parking in central Cambridge would try the patience of a saint, but the Cambridge train station is outside the centre of Cambridge so you'll either get a decent 15-20 minute walk or take the bus

BTW if you do decide to drive then use the park and rides outside the centre of Cambridge which are signposted from the M11 BUT do ensure that your friend's insurance does cover you for driving their car.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

45 minutes from London Kings Cross to Cambridge, albeit with a 25 minute hike from there to the centre. Railway companies were disuaded from building stations too near the colleges in case Victorian undergraduates were tempted to head off to London for wine, women and song.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

Did it work?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

Actually a bus takes 5-10 minutes just get a plusbus add on and they are virtually every 3-4 minutes so you can save yourself a good walk by just hoping on a bus. Also, car parking in Cambridge for a day is too expensive, don't do it, if you want to use the park and ride buses they are a far better deal but the train will take you less time plus bus than driving.

I believe if you catch the non stop it'll come in on platform 1 the main platform although the semi fast go across a footbridge from platform 7 and slow services go from platform 3. This is what the iPhone train times app has been telling me.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,393 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

I also think the insurance issue needs to be addressed before taking someone else's car.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From London to Cambridge-Driving or train?

Take the train. There are no service stops on the section of the M11 between Bishop's Stortford and Cambridge and it is a boring drive. Trains to Cambridge also run from Liverpool Street.