We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photos allowed?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
292 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Photos allowed?

Are we allowed to take photos indoors at the British Museum,St. Pauls and Tower of London? When we were in Italy,Greece etc. Some would,some wouldn't and some would let us long as we didn't use flash (which I guess degenerates paint/inks). Anyone? Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,509 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photos allowed?

You need to check with the individual venue, as each one will have their own policy.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 17:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photos allowed?

It varies here as well.

St Paul's , no

BM yes

Tower, forbidden in some places

Photography is not generally allowed in art galleries.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photos allowed?

The BM don't allow photos in their paid exhibitions.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Photos allowed?

I was pleasantly surprised to find I was allowed to take photos inside all the big museums - British Museum, V&A, Museum of London. In St. Paul's Cathedral, no way no how. At the Tower of London, photos were not alowed in the Jewel House nor in the Chapel of St. Peter ad Vincula (where Anne Bolyen is buried.) But I was allowed to snap away inside the White Tower and in the smaller tower buildings around the perimeter of the Tower complex. In one, where past royals had been imprisoned, there are messages carved in the stone walls that have been preserved since the 16th century. They are protected by plexiglass casing so photos did not turn out real great, but visitors were allowed to try it anyway.

However no photos allowed in the Natiional Gallery and probably not in any other art galleries. However I found I got a much better memento by buying a postcard in the gift shop of the pieces of art I was most interested in.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photos allowed?

Yes, professional post cards are far superior to photos most of the time. Unless, of course, the photo has an added personal element which makes it particularly special for the taker of the photo.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photos allowed?

And if one is just trying to avoid paying for a postcard, taking a photo of a painting is cheap!

But I have sometimes regretted the prohibition in a church or cathedral when I would have liked to capture a particular effect of light. Oh well.

7. Re: Photos allowed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:41