We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

natural history or british museum??

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canary islands spain
Level Contributor
84 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
natural history or british museum??

will be in london for 3 nights pretty much planned but my 16yr old daughter wants to go to a museum. its been many years since ive been to london, not sure which she would enjoy most. we hope to go sunday morning at 10 am opening and spending a few hours there. are the queues really bad???

Great Yarmouth...
Destination Expert
for Norwich, Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
575 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: natural history or british museum??

Both are free and neither will have queues.

It depends a bit on your daughter's interests but as much as I love the British Museum, I think the Natural Histoty is more user friendly for a teenager.

Does she have any hobbies or passions? We might be able to suggest something even more suitable.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: natural history or british museum??

From my experience with kids-

British Museum - full of boring old pots.

Natural History Museum - full of boring old fossils.

I think a teenager would love the Science Museum or the Museum of London, or best of all, The Imperial War Museum.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,157 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: natural history or british museum??

What is your Daughter most interested in?? There is bound to be a Museum in London to suit.

If it helps any, I just took (went with, more like!) my 13'er No. 1 Niece to the Science Museum and she really enjoyed it. Alas we did not have much time to spare there, but she would easily have stayed much longer. Very gratifying from Auntie side of the equation!!

The Nieces and Nephew have also enjoyed time recently (Christmas trip) at the Museum of London - this has a more 'eclectic' collection of 'stuff'!!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,627 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: natural history or british museum??

I don't think a teenager will be bored at the British Museum as long as you let them go and do what they want to do, and see things at their pace. This is, after all, her "pick."

My daughter and her teen friend enjoyed the Egyptian room with all the mummies--especially the animal mummies, and the displays of ancient statues, and ancient jewelry.

My tween son was taken with entirely different things.

Neither was terribly interested in the Natural History, which was interesting, but would have been more so if they had been a little younger.

I also am a big fan of the Imperial War Museum. Check out "The Children's War," a look at how families in London lived during World War II, complete with an entire house.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: natural history or british museum??

Suggest she gets googling. Look at the sites for BM, British Library, Museum of London, Natural History museum, Geffrye, IWM etc, and see what interests her. The BM, incidentally does (free) eyeopener tours which is a good way of getting some insight into a topic before spending some time browsing and can make a rather overpowering place more manageable.

canary islands spain
Level Contributor
84 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: natural history or british museum??

thanks so much for the info. daughter is really into science, will have a look at the science museum. that may be a better bet.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: natural history or british museum??

ahhh dear I absolutely loved that post henneth!!

Trouble is, all the museums are good and have interactive stuff. You'll just have to take her back!

Enjoy your trip.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: natural history or british museum??

Lots of interest for the younger generations at most museums but in my opinion the British is best

Level Contributor
306 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: natural history or british museum??

Does she like fashion?? Maybe the V & A?

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,665 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: natural history or british museum??

Hi,

I have taken many European students to both Museums mentioned (and others) but most preferred the British Museum.