We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

london
Level Contributor
151 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

I decided to take a trip over to Stratford yesterday, to have a look at the Olympic Park. Arriving at the station I was amazed at the changes in the area since my last visit that way a year ago.

But more surprised to discover, after finding a lady who knew where to go, due to a complete lack of signposting, that the viewing platform is on the third floor of the John Lewis store in the new Westfield shopping centre, hidden away behind the childrens clothing department. How strange.

Savage London
Gift & Speciality Shops
Broadway Market
Flea & Street Markets
Oxfam Bookshop
Gift & Speciality Shops
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

But I understand it is adjacent to a London 2012 souvineer shop. :)

We're planning on visiting the John Lewis store in late June to see the viewing enclosure, as it sounds like the View Tube and surrounding area will be closed off to the public. What's the view like from the enclosure? Can you see the main Olympic venues?

Mentioned in this post
The View Tube
The View Tube
49 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

The viewing window in the John Lewis store gives a good view to the main stadium, to the swimming venues, and to the funny helter skelter statue (I can never remember the proper name).

You can't see the entire Olympic park from there, but then it is so big you couldn't see the whole thing except from a helicopter*.

The signposting in the John Lewis store is less than helpful - head to the third floor and if you get lost just ask any member of their staff.

(* no you can't - it's a restricted air traffic zone - no helicopter sightseeing!)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

Thanks for the details. Looks like about the only way to see the complex. :)

I'm guessing since it is a new shopping area that there will be lots of restaurants around to have a meal after visiting the enclosure?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,530 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

There is - or was earlier this month - very little around Westfield itself except the station and the hulk of the shopping centre.

There are a few restos with outside seating if you want to escape the sound and fury of the centre. …westfield.com/stratfordcity/…dining

'The signposting in John Lewis is less than helpful' is an understatement, dicanio. Trying to find one's way from inside the shop back to the centre requires dropping of breadcrumbs on the way in. A surprising lack of forethought from JL.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

Good to know about the lack of signage. We won't be shy about asking staff how to get there. Thanks! :)

london
Level Contributor
151 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

The viewing enclosure is well worth going to, as already stated, you can see the main venues from here. The shopping centre is fully operational, and I was pleasantly surprised with it. You need to go up the escalators to the third floor, then straight in front of you, and hidden behind the childrens clothes is the entrance to the souvenir shop, which leads onto the viewing area.

There are a lot of different eateries in the shopping area. When I left John Lewis, head to your left, and on the lower ground floor is a mall with all the usual cafe/takeaway names we all know. Also, out into the fresh air on y our left you will find the Stratford International train station, with a view over the new accomodation being built for the athletes. There is a javelin train from this station, every fifteen minutes straight to St Pancras/Kings Cross station, costing £5.20 and taking only six minutes. Dont do what I did, and settle into a window seat, as it goes straight into a tunnel outside of the station, and reappears just short of the St Pancras destination.

London
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

Chestnut Plaza has in my opinion the best restaurants:

Wahaca: Mexican

Busaba Eathai: Thai

Cabana: Brasilian

The Cow: British Gastro

Plenty of outside seating if the weather is warm.

Main stream restaurants are typically on the 2nd Floor. Fast food places are on the Lower Ground floor.

Mentioned in this post
Busaba Eathai
Busaba Eathai
485 Reviews
London, UK
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

Great info!! Those restaurants sound great - but we'll have 2 kids (9 and 10) with us, so may have to settle for something a little less exotic. We're hoping to expand their culinery horizons a bit - at least something other than chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and pizza. :)

9. Re: Olympic Park Viewing Enclosure.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:16