We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

This summer will be my first time to Europe and a lot of the hotels are booked by now so I booked one in Gatwick since I'm flying into that airport. What is the easiest way to travel back and forth from my hotel in Gatwick to London?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

By train, I would have thought. There is a atation at the airport with regular trains into London. Look at the following site:

www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/newhome.aspx…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

A hotel near Gatwick is a very poor choice as a location for visiting London.

What are your travel dates, how many people in your party, what is your nightly hotel budget in GBP (£) and what are plans after leaving London (if flying out - which airport?)

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

I have an awful feeling the OP intends staying at a hotel near Gatwick for the duration of their stay in the UK, and doing the journey to London and back daily.

Am I correct jesshowie ? If this is the case its a very bad option. When you say a lot of the hotels ( presumably in London ) are booked we need to look at a couple of things.

Firstly what dates are you planning to come here, and secondly what is your budget in £££'s per night for accomodation. ?

It may be far more sensible to cancel your Gatwick hotel booking and allow the experts in here to offer some London alternatives.

Edit. Beaten to it by TexScott

Edited: 24 March 2012, 11:29
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

And wherever you stay, under no circumstances use thetrainline.com for rail tickets. It's an agent that levies fees, and you can get much better deals, including specials by booking direct from the train companies.

http://www.southernrailway.com

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk

But, as TexScott and Bluebreezer have stated, Gatwick is a poor choice for hotels if visiting London. Please let us know your travel dates and budget for accommodation and we'll see what we can come up with (even if it isn't central).

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

Hello again all,

I plan on staying in London from Aug.29-Sept.2

I had planned on just commuting back and forth each day as I am on a tight budget and have searches so many sites and can't find any on London but please any help would be extremely helpful and I'd be very grateful!

It's just me and my boyfriend, for the 4 nights. I didn't want to spend over 85 euros a night if possible.

6. Re: First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 March 2012, 12:35
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

I would fly out of Heathrow if it meant getting a good hotel if that's another option

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

The time and cost of the commute from Gatwick makes it an impracticable location. Here is link that describes the travel options: visitlondon.com/travel/…gatwick-airport

Your visit coincides with the start of the Paralympics, so there may be increased demand for hotels in London at that time.

Your budget of €85 (about £70) is a very tight budget for London.

Here are some options (start by looking at the King's Cross, Bloomsbury and Victoria Station areas as they link up with the cheaper options for travel to/from Gatwick for your arrival and departure) click on the https below:

https:/…

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

Booking.com show a range of hotels around Bloomsbury and Kings Cross as well as a little further out for your dates for £280-300 for the 4 nights. That is around your price range, much more convenient and you will save time and expense by not coming in by train every day. Book quickly however. As well as the Olympics/Paralympics that is the last week of summer holidays for many UK schools so London is very busy.

Edited: 24 March 2012, 12:16
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First time traveller! Help! Getting from Gatwick?

>>I would fly out of Heathrow if it meant getting a good hotel if that's another option.<<

Heathrow won't affect the hotel options, but it does offer cheaper transport costs (using the tube) to London. Heathrow is a better option than Gatwick.