We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Weather Question

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
636 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Another Weather Question

I've been looking at the extended weather forecast for London. I'll be arriving on March 29 and leaving on April 2 . It seems that I'll be okay with a raincoat if I bring a jumper for layering. I'll also have a cardigan and some long sleeve tees as well as a scarf, hat, and gloves.

I was thinking about bringing my winter coat but get the impression I probably won't need it. The lowest temperature that is predicted for the days I will be in London is 40f (4.4c). I'm assuming that the lower temperatures will be in the middle of the night.

Does my plan seem correct?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Weather Question

At the moment we are having some warm sunny weather, you would do better to wait until the five day forecast for the period you are here is available on the BBC website www.bbc.co.uk/weather. This will give you a better idea, but certainly bring a waterproof coat or jacket.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
636 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Weather Question

Thanks. I have the weather channel app on my desktop. It actually has a ten day forecast and shows temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius.

I'll be visiting a friend in Manchester after I leave London, so I'll need to pack for there too. I was in Manchester last August. It was chilly. I think what I am packing will be just right.

I plan on bringing some short sleeve tees and camisoles, as well as long sleeve tees. The pants I'll be bringing will be good for transition weather. I'm also bringing a washable skirt and a couple of washable dresses.

Your weather sounds like ours in New York City.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Weather Question

"The pants I'll be bringing will be good for transition weather."

Don't go out in just your pants.............You may get arrested. :-)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,335 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Weather Question

I wouldn't rely too much on the weather forecasts, it can change by the minute. It hit 68f in London on Friday and is supposed to be similarly nice next week, but we will see.

It probably won't snow, but anything else is possible so your clothing plans for any occasion sound about right

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Weather Question

The usual answer to this sort of question is that we really do not know. We don't get extremes of weather but we do get a lot of weather. So just plan for wearing layers..not only is the weather in Britain completely unpredictable but going in and out of shops, buses and tubes means that you will be getting all sorts of temperatures.

NewYork
Level Contributor
119 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Weather Question

Lyricaldove - I am coming 2 days after you from NY. :) I know the weather varies greatly (and I have several jackets laid out now, trying to figure out which to bring!) but I hadn't even thought of a hat and gloves!! So I should be packing cold weather accessories too?

Saugatuck, Michigan
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Weather Question

I'm arriving 1 April and just spent the day trying to figure out outfits. I've put a pair of those little knit gloves in my coat pocket...they don't take up any room and will take the edge off if it's chilly. I don't know if my vanity will let me wear a hat, though. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
636 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Weather Question

Hooameye LOL.

Saugatucker, I have a pretty red knit cashmere hat that I wore all winter. It is very warm. I also have a red pashmina that I bought in Florence last summer which can be used as a scarf or shawl.

StarbuxNY, you can go here for a ten day forecast for London.

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/UKXX0085

A hat, scarf, and gloves don't take up much room. It's good to bring them, or you can always buy them in London. I believe Regent Street near Oxford Circus has shops that sell nice wall scarves for about 10-12 pounds.

I plan on wearing leather booties on the plane. They're comfortable and good in the rain. I will also bring my Aravon Mary Janes that are made by New Balance. They have a sole like a running shoe but can be worn with a skirt or casual dress.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
801 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Weather Question

Planning to visit in 2 days time and have been checking the 10 day forecast every since last few days !

A question for you all, do you "feel" cold in London this time of the year, for e.g. if its 15 at noon, is it generally a breezy 15C which feels much colder due to windchill or is it generally crisp ?

I know weather in London changes quickly but thought i would ask as i will take clothes accordingly in my carry-on baggage (i'll be in transit so wont have my suitcase).

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Weather Question

Latest BBC forecast shows the next cloud is expected on Friday at the earliest!

This past week it has started to get chilly around 5.00 as the sun begins to set but with the clock change last night it could now easily be past 6.00 before the need for a jacket.