We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

children in the restaurants

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
33 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
children in the restaurants

Are there any regulations about children in the restaurants in the evening? I have daughter 13 years old and we are planning to visit some restaurants in London during our trip there.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,269 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: children in the restaurants

There may be if you are going really top class but even those have no objection. I know of one where thay have to be 14...could she pass? but generally there is no problem. Even pubs now have family rooms.

If you are going to an expensive place then they are less likely to have a 'childrens menu' so you would have to buy a full meal unless they offer to reduce the size of the portion.

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
33 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: children in the restaurants

thanks a lot..

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,269 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: children in the restaurants

You're welcome. Have a good time.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,622 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: children in the restaurants

I had my two grandnieces out to dinner last week. They ate more than I. Hence, my plastic is irrevocably damaged.

Come and enjoy.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: children in the restaurants

>>If you are going to an expensive place then they are less likely to have a 'childrens menu' so you would have to buy a full meal unless they offer to reduce the size of the portion.<<

The portions in expensive restaurants are often about right for a child anyway.

In general, although the British have something of an unjustified reputation as child-haters, children are welcome in most places except where there are legal restrictions. By 13 I would assume that a child is capable of knowing how to behave in a public place anyway.

What is selfish is when people bring very young children out and make no effort to encourage them to behave in an appropriate way. Only yesterday I was in a cafe where a woman was allowing her two children to stand on armchairs (yes, the very same armchairs that people are later going to sit on), and one of them was obviously very unwell with a cold and was just coughing loudly, standing on the said armchair facing away from the table and at everyone else in the cafe, making no effort to cover his mouth, broadcasting his cold to whoever was within coughing distance. This sort of thing is not acceptable and sadly it gives a bad name to the majority of parents who make reasonable demands on their children, e.g. don't stand on the furniture, cover your mouth if you cough, etc.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: children in the restaurants

Do a lot of the pubs still have restrictions on children? I haven't traveled in the UK with kids before, so haven't really paid attention. I know they used to be allowed in some pubs, but not in others.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: children in the restaurants

Children are generally allowed in pubs to eat but not to hang around the bar areas. Some pubs have family rooms.

You would probably not want to take a child in certain pubs, but you can tell from looking around.

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
33 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: children in the restaurants

Thanks to everybody. :)

I just had not very nice experience in Scotland, when we were staying with kids in Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh, and kids were not allowed to stay in bar area.. I agree that some parents do not contrail their kids, but my kids know how to behave, as in Spain we can go to any place with kids.

I never seen here spanish kids screaming or jumping, as they learn how to behave from early age.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: children in the restaurants

@post 8 . The Balmoral hotel would be complying with the Scottish licencing laws, not picking on your family.

Children are not allowed in bars after a certain time in the evening.

They would risk losing their licence by allowing your kids to remain

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: children in the restaurants

Agreed. I am not sure whether it is fair to say that you had a "not very nice experience". Your children were not allowed in the bar because that is what the law says. Of course, it depends how they handled the situation. If they were unpleasant about it then you have good grounds for complaint, but if they just explained the law to you then I don't see what they have done wrong.