We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

Suffern, New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

Hello my TA peeps! I have a dilema here, because my sister just told me that one of her friends who hails from the UK (London) told her not to bother with Windsor Castle when we go in May and it was a waist of time, overprice for a day visit! So now what should I do or do you recommend? I would like to do a visit to the English country side for a day trip, go shopping,go to a pub ect. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

I am not sure why anyone would advise you not to visit Windsor Castle. I've been more times than I can count, and I still never grow tired of going.

Perhaps make up your own mind?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Other things to do in Windsor,

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c167859/Winds…

As an aside, if I listened to every piece of advice I ever got regarding travel, I would never have visited Paris, Venice, Rome or Capri, to name but a few places that have been slandered, and which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 01:11
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,620 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

Do you, Delilah B, want to visit Windsor and the castle? If you do then go and have a look around.

Rail fare is just under £10 for the return journey from Paddington to Windsor & Eton Central, admission to the castle is £17, not a massive sum when considered part of the full cost of your holiday.

If you don't have time to go to a pub or do much shopping in Windsor then don't worry, there will be plenty of opportunities for both in London.

santa clarita, ca.
Level Contributor
106 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

pellanconi

santa...

reviews: 5

1. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

Mar 25, 2012, 8:10 PM

Went there in 1969. Been back to London many times since but never went back. We think about it then go to Hampton Court instead or to Buckingham Palace instead. Maybe next time. No real recommendation one way or another obviousl

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

I finally made it to Winsor Castle after numerous visits. It really depends on you. Do you enjoy royal related things?

We had a wonderful day oohing and aahing over the restrained opulence. We climbed the tour and the views were gorgeous.

It's a short 2 train ride and doesn't need to take an entire day if you don't wish it so.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

If you want to see English countryside you will need to head out of London's urban sprawl. I suggest after visiting Windsor Castle you return to Slough and take a train to Pangbourne and walk the Thames path to Goring and Streatley then return to London with a stop in one of the village pubs, of course, ( The Swan at Pangbourne for example).

The route would be London Paddington to Slough, Slough to Windsor and back to Slough, Slough to Pangbourne, then Goring and Streatley back to London Paddington. Can be done on a London to Goring and Streatley day return ticket plus an add on fare from Slough to Windsor.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

Do YOU want to see Windsor? If you like the look of it, and its history, then visit!

I take visitors there a lot. Not yet had anyone say it was a waste of time, or that it wasn't worth visiting. Mind you, I leave them to it - I don't feel the need to go inside anymore!

Do check that the staterooms / St George's Chapel are open on your planned day of visit, because if they, or heaven forbid! the whole castle - are closed, that would severely affect your enjoyment of the place!

And it does get you out of London for a day, which is also pleasant.

But you know, there are people out there who say going to Stonehenge is a waste of time! I know ... what are they thinking??? ;-)

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

We visited last August and were really pleased we did, it was a worthwhile trip, we will go back again and have a little more time in the town itself next time.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,331 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

I would visit the Castle. And, do note there is more to Windsor than just the Castle. It is possible to take a stroll down the Long Walk and/or by the River Thames. And, you can cross the River Thames and walk over to Eton and visit Eton College.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,860 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

If you swallow all of the Royalist garbage then go (I thought America sloughed that stuff off in 1776 ?).

If, like me, you are a republican, then don't.

Plenty of nice places within a 75 minute train ride from London where you can go for a walk in the countryside and find a nice pub: do a search, the topic has been raised many times.

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Windsor Castle? To visit or not to visit?

Another vote to visit Windsor and the castle......if you're interested in history and the royal family it's well worth it.I'm rather biased as I live a couple of miles away from Windsor and love spending time there.Even if you didn't visit the castle,there's loads of shops to mooch around in and some good pubs and restaurants to visit.Alexander park,opp the River Thames is nice for a walk around and as above post states,Eton is nice to visit also.Olde worlde pubs and buildings to look at and of course the College.I hope you do decide to visit WIndsor and the castle.You won't be disappointed.