We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

Hi,

We are visiting London as a family for the first time later this year and I have been scouring through the apartment listings to find somewhere convenient, safe and reasonably priced to stay.

I am thinking of booking an apartment in Shepherd's Bush;

tripadvisor.com.au/…map

I am looking for some advice as to whether this is a convenient place to stay, is it close enough for frequent trips into the city centre as well as a few day trips to other parts of England? Also, is it a safe area, as we will be travelling during the norther winter, no doubt we will be coming home using public transport and walking when it is dark, would this be OK when staying in this area? Also, it looks really convenient to Westfield shops etc, but would it be a really busy, noisy area?

I'm hoping some locals will be able to help me!

Thanks for reading,

Tina (Perth, Western Australia)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

Pimlico's a good area.

UK
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

As local DE has stated (no doubt from his vast experience in the travel trade) CHS good agent this wraps it up neatly does it not ? Regmaiche

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

Faced with a choice of Shepherd's Bush and Shepherdess's Bush, I would tend to gravitate towards the latter of the two locations.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

Just when I think I have clarity, I seem to get confused again - and thank you for your insightful comment, Insightful!!

A couple of people mentioned Bloomsbury, and I have been looking at the Euro Hotel and the Crescent Hotel (right next to each other). They seem to be on a par for a hotel B&B.

So one last (maybe) question....... this location in Bloomsbury vs St Georges Square Pimlico?? Any opinions would be welcome!

London
Level Contributor
839 posts
1 review
Save Reply
35. Re: Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

I'd go for Bloomsbury. It's more central for most things than Pimlico.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 12:19
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

Reviews for Shepherd's Bush are mixed. For some people unsafe can mean a bunch of drunk 20 somethings stumbling from a pub, to others (like me) it can mean stabbings and other bodily harm. In all of my research Shepherd's Bush hasn't made it to the top of the list as an unsafe area. That said, I am now questioning a decision to stay near the area based on above forum posts.

After missing an opportunity to rent a flat in Covent Garden, I will be renting a flat near Sinclair Gardens, not far from West 12. The listing identifies the area as West Kensington, but the closest tube station is Shepherd's Bush. The contact person for the flat has been more than helpful and reviews are exceptional. The flat is a 15 minute walk to Holland Park, 20-25 minutes to Notting Hill Gate, and maybe 30-40 minutes from Kensington Palace. Probably a 20-30 minute tube ride into central London, which I don't mind.

I'm traveling with my adult sister and parents.

So what's the verdict? Did I make a poor decision? I've become overwhelmed researching the various neighborhoods and boroughs and given the time crunch my preferred properties are not available.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
37. Re: Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

If you read all the reviews, none of these tourists, who rented a flat on Sinclair Gardens, seemed overly concerned about the neighborhood.

homeaway.com/vacation-rental/reviews/p403649…

http://www.vrbo.com/199462/reviews

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

Sinclair Gardens will be fine. It's only 10 minutes on the tube from Shepherds Bush into the heart of the West End.

London
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

Go into google maps, enter the postcode, and drill down into Streetview. You can have have a virtual look around the neighbourhood. Looks perfectly civilised to me.

Edited: 10 April 2012, 17:05
40. Re: Would you recommend staying in Shepherd's Bush?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:43