We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam to London travel

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Leandro...
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam to London travel

My plan is to travel in the afternoon on 8/26/12 (Sunday), from Amsterdam (where the Rhine River Cruise docks) to London Victoria Station area. I gathered that I may travel via air, sea or ground (via tube?). Does anyone know what is the best way to travel - i.e. convenient, low cost, easy to look for landmarks. I know flying takes only 15 minutes, but how about the lead time needed to be at the airport (2 hours before flight?). Also transfer from river Dock to Airport and from Airport to train station? I will appreciate a step by step information and any pros and cons on each type of transportation. Thank you

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam to London travel

Flying takes an hour and 15 minutes. You forgot to account for the time zones. It's often recommended to take the Thalys to Brussels Midi and then the Eurostar to London St Pancras.

Travel Well,

chuck

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam to London travel

Door to door by bus www.eurolines.com

Edited: 29 March 2012, 00:48
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam to London travel

You plan to travel during the last Bank Holiday weekend of summer, just three days before the start of the Paralympic Games.

If you use the North American page at www.eurostar.com you may find fares available for travel in August; you can book a through ticket from Amsterdam Centraal to London St Pancras via Brussels.

BA have flights from AMS to three London airports (Heathrow, Gatwick and City), with fares to the latter two a bit cheaper than to LHR. You may travel from Gatwick to London Victoria by rail in about half an hour, but is there any specific reason you need to be near Victoria station?

Do you need a return journey to the Netherlands or will you continue on from London to your next destination? Will you have more than one piece each of hand and checked baggage? At what time of day does the ship dock at Amsterdam?

Let us know a bit more, please.

San Leandro...
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam to London travel

Thank you all for the info. I need to be at Victoria Station since my hotel is located nearby. The ship arrives on 8/25 and we still have one night before disembarking on 8/26 after breakfast. No return trip since we proceed on another tour.

I prefer to fly to LHR since I may be able to use my air miles award. I need information for an inexpensive and less hassle way to get to Schiphol airport from the dock (Since I do not speak Dutch). We are bringing one checked luggage and a small hand carry bag each (Will this pose any problem in taking the train from LHR to Victoria?). I can manage the London transfer since I found a website discussing several alternative transfers from LHR to Victoria.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam to London travel

You do not have to worry about the language,just about everyone in Amsterdam speaks English.

The usual way to the airport is the fast,frequent, train from Central station.

However do you know exactly where your boat docks?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam to London travel

As far as I can remember, the Rhine Cruises dock about 5 minutes walk from Centraal station. From there it is a very quick journey by train to Schiphol. KLM and British Airways fly to Heathrow and Easyjet fly to Gatwick which has a direct train link to Victoria. With KLM you can use Delta airmiles if you have them, British Airways tie up with American. Easyjet are a low cost carrier.

From Heathrow to Victoria, take the Piccadilly Line Underground to Hammersmith, cross the platfform and take the eastbound District Line train to Victoria. Be aware that there are significant renovations going on at Victoria and it is a very busy station so try to avoid rush hours.

Flights from AMS to LHR take less than one hour.

www.ba.com

www.klm.com

www.easyjet.com

www.ns.nl

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam to London travel

< As far as I can remember, the Rhine Cruises dock about 5 minutes walk from Centraal station. From there it is a very quick journey by train London via Thalys to Brussels & Eurostar which can be booked as one ticket and without the ritual humiliations of airports.

Corrected your statement

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,299 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam to London travel

Hmmm... there is an Amsterdam forum you know! Why are you posting questions about Amsterdam on the London forum?

Anyway yes some river cruises do dock right behind the station (Viking for example) but some dock a little further down the river so you might need a taxi. Contact your cruise company for confirmation. They might also be able to arrange transofers but a pricate taxi will be around €50.

BA have flights to LGW on your date for only £68 and that incluses a bag. Easyjet will charge you extra to check in a bag. From LGW as said you can take a direct train to Victoria. That's the way I would go.

San Leandro...
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam to London travel

Thank you all. I should revisit my plans. My two choices now would probably be by train all the way (via Thaly's to Brussels, then EuroStar to London.) or fly in to LGW (28 miles away) instead of LHR(18 miles away) since only one train switch over. I will check out the times and see which fits best. Again thanks for the information. Sorry, I am a new user and I completely forgotten about the Amsterdam forum.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam to London travel

Travel time from Gatwick and Heathrow will be about the same, depending on how the trains from Gatwick will run that Bank Holiday weekend.

Underground trains from LHR to central London depart 12 times an hour. The journey from airport to Victoria is easy, as dicanio described above; maximum fare is £5.30 (but could be less if you use PAYG on Oyster or a Travelcard).

If you fly to LGW ask at the rail ticket office for a Southern rail ticket rather than for the pricier Gatwick Express train. Travel time with Southern is five more minutes, no change of train needed. Single fare with Southern is about £13 for the journey to Victoria.

A single from Amsterdam Centraal to Schiphol costs €3.80.