We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

M1 or M40 to east London (Stratford)

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
M1 or M40 to east London (Stratford)

Hi,

I am planning to travel to london (Stratford) from Manchester on sunday morning, I am just wondering if M1 will be better option or M40? and further more after leaving M1 or M40 will it be better to use M25 or A roads? I have tom tom but it does not tell me about the traffic situation. I hope some one can guide me properly.

regards

London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: M1 or M40 to east London (Stratford)

Try this;

theaa.com/route-planner/…planner_main.jsp

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: M1 or M40 to east London (Stratford)

On a sunday morning (or any other time) take the M1. I would then take the North Circular followed by the A112 by there are a dozen other routes to get there. Traffic should not be particularly heavy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: M1 or M40 to east London (Stratford)

Should be OK for traffic on a Sunday.

Personally I like the M40 as it's a nicer road but it hits the M25 much further west than you might care to.

On the M25 two options are keep on the M25 until M11 junction and come into East London on this or come of at Junction24 ontoA111 follow through Southgate until it joins A406 at intersection with A10 . A406 from here is good road to East London with underground bypasses at intersections.

I always take this route on Sundays but tend to opt for Motorway weekdays.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: M1 or M40 to east London (Stratford)

I'd probably go via the A10, or M11.

Traffic can build considerably as Sunday progresses and traffic, especially on a fine day, can be worse than midweek rush hour.

There are very significant roadworks at Bounds Green on the North Circular. This stretch was always a bottleneck, now it's woeful.

I guess it just depends upon how early you will be travelling.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,763 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: M1 or M40 to east London (Stratford)

Another vote for the M1/M25/M11 route. It brings you off the motorway network nearer to Stratford and avoids the "delights" of the roadworks at Bounds Green.

Edited: 29 March 2012, 16:12
6. Re: M1 or M40 to east London (Stratford)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2013, 10:24