We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in London in May

Level Contributor
108 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in London in May

We can stay at the Marriott (airport location) or the Hilton at Heathrow Airport, which is better? The Hilton is Terminal 5 on Poyle Rd. What can we expect to pay for taxi ride from airport to hotel?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,300 Reviews
from US$126.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
477 Reviews
from US$105.40*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,098 Reviews
from US$134.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
468 Reviews
from US$334.60*
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,254 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in London in May

Come into town.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,052 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in London in May

If your intention is to sightsee in central London then neither of those hotels will be suitable.

Travel time from the airport to the city centre is about an hour. Add travel time from hotel to the airport Underground station, not to mention the cost of travel from zone 6 and it's not a recipe for a good holiday.

The Marriott is better situated than the Hilton, but there are better options in London rather than near the airport.

Level Contributor
108 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in London in May

Thank you for your help. We have never been to London before, so it's very difficult. We arrive late Saturday at Heathrow, need a hotel until Tuesday, as we go back to the airport to catch RCCL transportation bus to Harwich for a cruise. We thought staying at the airport would be easier, now I'm not sure. Traveling a hour to get to the city sounds very difficult. The hotel room rate is excellent at the Marriott and Hilton at the airport as I have found in London it's very expensive.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in London in May

It is expensive in central London but it is possible to find ok rates with certain chains. I agree with the other posters that you'd be better off staying in the city to enjoy it more. Try some of the cheaper chains such as Travelodge/Holiday Inn/premier Inn/IBIS etc. We come to London about once or twice a year and I was horrified at how the prices have shot up. We've looked around and found Holiday Inn Limehouse two stops from Tower Gateway for £80.00 B&B for a room (sleeps up to 4) They also have left luggage which is a bonus when you're travelling. How late on Saturday are you arriving? It may be worth going straight into the city ready for morning sightseeing. There are lots of 2 for one offers with the rail companies and you get a third off some river cruises on production of a travelcard. Good luck, it's a great place to visit.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in London in May

I too have noticed the steep hotel rates this year. As well as steep airfare. I wonder if this is the Olympic effect? After all, there are probably more tourists wanting to come to London when the Olympics are NOT on..............

And I wonder if the prices will fall a bit next year. Or not.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in London in May

Does RCCL not also provide a coach from central London? Or alternatively make your own way by train to Harwich International from Liverpool St. The station is adjacent to the terminal.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 01:40
7. Re: Arriving in London in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2013, 10:20