We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline and 4 Star hotels

Level Contributor
306 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline and 4 Star hotels

I have reading of some TA member frustration about finding a 5 star rm in Lomdon with Priceline for spring and summer

I'm planning a trip to London for mid-September and am wondering if people are having the same frustration with 4 Star hotels on PL and how early one should bid (3 months out? 1 month out?)

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline and 4 Star hotels

My bidding experience for booking through Priceline bidding for 4 star hotels in London is as follows:

- started bidding around Sep 1 for Oct 31/09 arrival

- started bidding around July 15 for Sep 8/10 arrival

- started bidding around Aug 20 for Sep 25/10 arrival

So, 1 to 2 months out.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline and 4 Star hotels

I'm the same I start around 6 weeks before then keep bidding until something turns up. At the moment the hotels don't know the availability they'll have in September so it's too early to give lower prices to Priceline.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline and 4 Star hotels

I've gotten great Priceline deals as far as 6 months out. Can't hurt to put in some really low bids early. You never know what they might accept.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
223 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline and 4 Star hotels

4 stars aren't faring any better for me up to $250/night. I'd start as soon as you could - doesn't hurt... I have 2 months so I'm not worried (yet)

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline and 4 Star hotels

I got the Holiday Inn Mayfair for May 22nd - $162.00 per night at Priceline

Not sure I'd call it a 4 star but the location is optimal.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline and 4 Star hotels

When bidding on Priceline I tend to look at other options too, especially if my initially low-ish bids seem to be unsuccessful. A couple of months ago I discovered that I could get a room for the night I wanted at the Premier Inn Euston for £69, so I opted for that when it became clear that my bid on Priceline plus taxes and fees would be more.

I have no fear of bidding for 3* in London if it seems 4* bids are getting high, as nearly all the 3* hotels in the bidding system are chains such as Holiday Inn Express. You also sometimes get 4* when you bid at 3* in any case. Last October I bid £50 for 3* and got the Paddington Hilton. On another occasion I bid 3* for a Saturday night and got Club Quarters Gracechurch, a lovely hotel. Although it's officially 4*, at weekends it does not have a full restaurant service so Priceline counts it as a 3* Fri-Sun. I got it for a bid of £45, but it would not have been offered at all if I'd bid at 4*.

This year I think bids may have to be that bit higher, though when the Olympics are over I suspect there are going to be quite a few bargains around again.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 17:20
Level Contributor
306 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline and 4 Star hotels

Yes. I'm not set on a certain "area" as long as it is in central London and near to a tube stop.

Level Contributor
306 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline and 4 Star hotels

And my dates (Sept 11-16) are after the Olympics and Paralympics

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Priceline and 4 Star hotels

I've just managed to get the Novotel Excel for two nights at the end of June for a bid of £56 per night (+£14 per night taxes and fees). I'm pleased because I've stayed there before and thought it very good. I bid at 3* and above (I have no fear of doing this in London), and for some reason it describes the Novotel as 3*, though everywhere else says it's 4*. This could be because it doesn't have a full restaurant service at weekends, and Priceline reverts hotels to 3* when this is the case. This happened when I got the Club Quarters Gracechurch at a weekend too. You can thus miss out on some extra good bargains if you insist on bidding only at 4* and above.

Edited: 14 June 2012, 22:28
Level Contributor
306 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Priceline and 4 Star hotels

I finally got the Holiday Inn Express Earl's Court for $84 per night plus tax. 3 *. I'm pretty pleased although I would have liked to stay in a 4 star