We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

Hi. Working hard on my trip itinerary for mid-June. I am planning on hitting most of the standard tourist attractions. Since I am in London for a week I can go to many first thing in the morning, trying to get ahead of the lines. Which ones should I make sure to do this for? I've read Tower of London is one -a nd to go see the Jewels first and then do the tour - to miss alot of the building crowds.

Alternatively, are there attractions best hit closer to closing time (as an example, I had read to go see the Mona Lisa about 30 minutes before the Louvre closed - and it was right on - it was us alone in the entire room!)?

Thanks!

Worthing, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

The London Eye involves quite a long queue in the middle of the day. I would strongly recommend going there first in the morning/last thing at night unless you've booked in advance.

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
611 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

I was hoping to piggy back on your thread, for some planning short-cuts! It's a shame there are no hints ....yet.

As you say going early to the Tower is a good idea - I had also picked out St Pauls for a 'first of the day' ....just because it opened before a number of other attractions.

A number of the galleries open later on Friday and Sat evenings - so lend themselves to a 'last of the day'.

You are lucky to have a week - my London itinerary, for mid May, is a little tighter, with only 5 days.

Have fun planning....and thanks for the reminder for Louvre viewing late in the day.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

If you are interested in attending an evensong service at either, you may want to plan touring Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's Cathedral later in the day. Then, you can just hang around for the service - getting a good seat, or, perhaps being asked to sit in the Quire.

And admission to Madame Tussaud's is £15 after 5 PM.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

I enjoy going to popular tourist type places early in the morning before the crowds. Places such as Trafalgar Square and Buckingham Palace feel completely different when there are only a few people around.

ktown

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

While not exactly answering your question, you might be interested in knowing about the attractions that are open in the evening. For example, the National Portrait Gallery is open until 9 pm on Thursdays and Fridays. Sometimes (but not always) the late openings are less crowded than visiting during the day.

There is more information here: tripadvisor.com/…39799740

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

If you're only interested in touring Westminster Abbey, and not do a service, I'd recommend first thing in the morning. There are far fewer people upon opening than how packed it gets in the afternoon.

I'd recommend not going to any large attractions late in the afternoon(British Museum, V&A, etc) if you've been walking around a lot all day. By then, you're likely to be too tired to appreciate them when taking on the daunting task of trying to make a dent in all there is to see in those attractions. Be well rested before going to those museums.

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

Good information! I am checking out the Evensong schedule right now from a link in another thread. It looks like 5pm - and the Abbey closes at 3pm for tours. Hmmm... that's a bit of time to hang around - any suggestions for a near by 'fill in activity'?

What time is is best to show up to buy same day theater tickets? Is there a good way to combine this with still getting to a major attraction early?

Washington
Level Contributor
69 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

The Tower seems to be much quieter in the afternoon. We just went today, there was a quite the queue when we went in at 11. No queue when we left just after 1. We went by it yesterday, huge line at 10..when it opens. If you have tickets booked in advance, 10 might be ok....then probably go directly to crown jewels.

Westminster Abby was long line yesterday until the afternoon.

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

Wow. That is great info for the Tower. Usually being there so early helps but maybe that is what everyone is now doing! I certainly planned on it. I read somewhere that some attractions do quiet down during the lunch time period.... maybe the Tower is one of them!

Anyone else see/experience this phenom??

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attractions To Go To First/Last Thing In The Day

Last attractions of the day are the pubs.