We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 nights in London - the report begins

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
9 nights in London - the report begins

Hi all,

Thanks to all who answered my questions or those of others thereby helping us with our planning. We've been having a great time in London and have prepared reports for the first couple of days. It might be a little while until I can finish the whole visit.. but meanwhile.. there's these.

Our first london day (day 8 of our trip) we arrive around the middle of the day and head over to docklands and the Museum of London Docklands, then we got the boat from Canary Wharf to Tower Millenium Pier and had dinner at Rosemary Lane.

…blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/day-8-part-2-docklan…

Next day we head out to Windsor and on return have dinner at Bumbles and walk down the Mall to Trafalgar Square.

…blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/day-9-windsor-castle…

We have come to London after moseying about in Norfolk for several days and then Stamford... if you'd rather start at the very beginning that can be found here

…blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/days1-2-england-sydn…

regards

Snodge

:o)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Hi again everyone,

Hal, I hoped to get back on and explain about Hay Fever before you read the entry on it. I enjoyed it and if you're a Noel Coward tragic you'll probably love it. The production values and performances are all excellent.. it's just that, well you know Coward, there's a good deal of subtle sarcasm and humour that is derived from committing faux pas, so you get the most out of it if you are familiar with the social norms of the period. .. so I think I probably enjoyed it more than hubby for example.. and then I suspect that English folk of a certain age probably enjoyed it more than I did. Being a coarse colonial ;o) I am sure there are subtle things that would have gone over my head. I DID enjoy it though, so I think you can happily look forward to settling down in your seat come May.

Alison, am I a writer by profession.. hmm..tricky. I guess you could say that writing is an essential skill for my job. One of a number of skills that collectively qualify me for what I do.

A couple of people have commented on the detail. I used to write trips down long hand in a hard copy leather bound journal. I started that when my father in law died and I started taking my bucket list trips with my mum, that I really wanted to be able to reminisce about when she's gone. . but I can type waaaaay faster and then when it's in e-format I can also comment on photographs. . it all snowballed from there. I find that I notice things more since I started blogging stuff. I also think about things more because I have to decide what I think and what to say about my experiences. Sometimes it's good to have a lag between the experience and the commentary for that reason.. So I find that there's a big pay off for taking the time to blog the trips .. otherwise I wouldn't! . It does require enormous determination to keep it up. Luckily Hubby is supportive thought it does impact on him too. I don't know how it will go for such a long trip, but I'll be trying to keep it as up to date as I can.

Today is our last day in London and we've just popped back for 45 minutes lying down before our evening's entertainment.. Flight tomorrow so I'm hoping to get all caught up on the writing over the course of the day. Fingers crossed.

Still to come for London:

Sunday: Turks River Trip, Hampton Court Palace and Jack the Ripper walk.

Monday: Kew Gardens and The Ledbury

Tuesday (today) Tower of London, Dickens Exhibition and we leave ..hmm in about 0 mins. sigh.. for Dinner at Kettners and then The Mouse Trap. Better go!

Since I don't have time to concentrate on writing for the trip journal/blog... I will comment on the war... I think there's a lot about the war that never gets talked about... for example.. the more I read about the deception aspects of WWII and the spies and double agents etc etc and as I read stuff about the German resistance movement I think more credit probably needs to be given to the Germans opposed to Hitler who got in on the inside and worked against the German regime.. including in intelligence. I have read of at least one fellow who was a known opponent of Nazism who when it was evident that due to his class he would be obliged to join some part of the war cause joined the intelligence area. ..if memory serves I think the Nazi's killed him in the end. Time and time again I've heard it said in documentaries about how unbelievably stupid the handlers of the various double agents must have been because their cover should have been blown by this or that.. and yet you never hear any contemplation of the fact that perhaps their cover was indeed blown, but the handler made a decision not to expose them... but I have some more things to say about that later when I get my thoughts sorted for the Imperial War Museum visit... that report could get a bit controversial.

. PS afds... that Waltzing Matilda blog post is one of the most popular I've done. You wouldn't believe the number of people that google "waltzing matilda lyrics meaning" haha...I guess it is quite encrypted in it's lyric! I wrote it originally for a friend of my daughters and she circulated to all her friends so I decided to whack it up on the blog and have since finessed it a bit.. Another case of myself benefitting from having to sit down and think about it!

Talk to you again soon. :o)

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Just starting with the Docklands entry. We ended up @ the Museum of the Docklands by happenstance and can't recommend it highly enough. It's very well done, a gorgeous building, and we also loved the 'alleys' of the sailors town.

I can already tell by the first day that your blog is like a book you can't put down but don't want to rush through and deprive yourself of the savor. :-)

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Me too, Snodge, me too. Have not been here regularly much for a while and what a treat to return to.

Am settling down with a nice cuppa and some vegemite on toast to find out what Snodge did next.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Just read and very much enjoyed your foody market day. Getting hungry now! Only been once and managed to get some sustenance just from all the free tasters on offer! Hate to be picky for such a great blog...but just for your records it's Borough not Burrough.

One thing I did know about Southwark Cathedral is that only became a cathedral relatively recently. I've just checked and this was in 1905. As it was not built as a cathedral, I wonder if this explains the different style you noticed. It was Southwark Priory until the Reformation then the parish church of St Saviour until being upgraded.

Queensland
Level Contributor
104 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Thankyou so much Snodge for your wonderful reports - thoroughly enjoying them. We arrive in London on 19th April and have planned to go to many of the places you are writing about.

Your detailed writing is a great help - and makes the anticipation so much more tantalising! Looking forward to your next entry. Will be interested to hear what you think of the Mousetrap. My husband saw it in London 40 years ago and wants to take me. It will be a "book on the day" affair - will have to take stock of how our energy levels are panning out! We've booked Les Miserables which we've seen in various cities in Oz - just love it and have to see it in London!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Again great entries, very much looking forward to the rest! You really have a gift for writing which makes it a very enjoyable read

Also looked at some of your earlier entries, seems like you had a great time!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Thanks for the reassurance about Hay Fever, Snodge! I'm all smiles again now.

:)

And I'm very much looking forward to reading what you thought about The Mousetrap and Kettner's!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Hi again at last!

FINALLY! phew. I've pressed publish on the Hampton Court Day. That was a huge day.

Since then we've arrived in Amsterdam and found our converter was no good. Notebook battery dead as a doornail... so no catching up.

…blogspot.com/2012/04/day-13-hampton-court-p…

I'll try to get back with info about the Mousetrap asap. but got to run just now.

Snodge.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Hurrah off to read & veel plezier in Amsterdam!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Just finished, another lovely entry and having been there only 3 weeks ago(my 7th visit I think) brings back memories, we also seem to have photographed the same things :)

Am envious though that the tulips are now out, but I did see carpets of daffodills.

Am with you about being glad that the money ran out, love the contrast between the two parts of the palace.(and William will always be special for me since I'm dutch)

Reading your report kinda makes me regret not doing the events of the day more, but I still had a lovely time

Oh and quite an impressive armour display indeed, if I remember correctly(they used to do fab guided tours) soldiers would line the walls as well.

Finally am impressed you lasted through the dance!