We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 nights in London - the report begins

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
9 nights in London - the report begins

Hi all,

Thanks to all who answered my questions or those of others thereby helping us with our planning. We've been having a great time in London and have prepared reports for the first couple of days. It might be a little while until I can finish the whole visit.. but meanwhile.. there's these.

Our first london day (day 8 of our trip) we arrive around the middle of the day and head over to docklands and the Museum of London Docklands, then we got the boat from Canary Wharf to Tower Millenium Pier and had dinner at Rosemary Lane.

…blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/day-8-part-2-docklan…

Next day we head out to Windsor and on return have dinner at Bumbles and walk down the Mall to Trafalgar Square.

…blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/day-9-windsor-castle…

We have come to London after moseying about in Norfolk for several days and then Stamford... if you'd rather start at the very beginning that can be found here

…blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/days1-2-england-sydn…

regards

Snodge

:o)

Mentioned in this post
Norfolk
Norfolk
East Anglia, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,364 Reviews
from US$130.60*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,131 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.70
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
519 Reviews
from US$117.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$347.80*
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

ah of course! ORANGEtigger! I should have guessed you are Dutch!

haha I'm impressed I lasted through the dance too! It was a very near run thing I assure you!

Well, I better get stuck into journalling and trying to catch up seeing as were home for a rest before dinner.

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Ah Snodge... so good to 'catch up' with your travels again ... and to anticipate following in (some of) your London footsteps in a couple of week's time.

You have so raised the bar on trip reports, though! Just brilliant! Loving all the details - thanks!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

:o)

Many thanks to the reveller with the horn in the early hours... the next installment is out. On this day we do Westminster Abbey, the IWM and Handel's Messiah at St Martin in the Fields with dinner in the undercroft cafe.

sigh. Only two proper days to catch up on now, but I will try to do the second of then first because that's the ones that people seem to be waiting for. However for now, we better go use the Iamsterdam card! Haven't got our money back on that yet!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Very interesting read(btw you never included the link but I found it on your blog page).

I felt Westminster Abbey to be rather erm cluttered, personally I prefer the openness of StPauls. Not that I didn't like my WA visit, but(erm how do I explain this) normally when I go into a church I feel peaceful, it's usually the size&grandeur that do it(I once visited a basilisk(?) in Hungary and felt tiny as I walked in) I didn't really have that for WA, because it's hard to see everything.

I did enjoy my visit to IWM and was teary eyed through most of the holocaust exhibit. I know the Nazi's weren't the first or last to commit these awful war crimes, but the sheer size..... Re the Germans, from my hometown(Groesbeek, just under Nijmegen) we could see Germany and our dialect is half german. I've never felt any anger towards germans when growing up, apart from football matches...(we consider them our biggest rivals).

That said when we first went on holiday in Yugoslavia in the late 80's we where told that if we spoke german(no-one speaks dutch so it's usually English for me and german for my parents when we go abroad) we'd have to mention that we were not german but dutch, so we would be treated better.

I do know that everytime Apartheid is mentioned and you hear about the history of South Africa I feel a bit ashamed because a lot of it was caused by the Dutch, I can't imagine how it must feel knowing that your nation did these atrocities only 70 years ago... that said for me those people where Nazi's different from the Germans from today.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
london
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

just finished reading your IWM thoughts ... the older I get and the more I read, learn and understand the less tolerant I get of the usual "accepted" view of things ... I totally understand your feelings and the perspective of you and your husband

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Hi again.

It's official. I love the Thalys train. Would you believe I'm all caught up!! They even give you a powerpoint at your seat, but my ode of love for the Thalys is a subject for another day.

Thanks for pointing out my oversight re the link. here it is now.

…blogspot.fr/2012/04/day-14-westminster-abbe…

the next day we headed out to Kew Gardens and had dinner at the Ledbury

…blogspot.fr/2012/04/day-15-kew-gardens-and-…

And finally, on our last day in London we did the Tower, Charles Dickens exhibition, dinner at Kettner's and the Mousetrap. My apologies for not getting it up sooner. It just wasn't possible unfortunately.

…blogspot.fr/2012/04/day-16-tower-of-london-…

Mentioned in this post
The Ledbury
The Ledbury
2,615 Reviews
London, UK
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Hi Orangetigger and Caz,

every country has things to be ashamed of. Admittedly some more than others. Australia is no different. Indeed there are still occurrences happening in the country I love that I am heartily ashamed off . I just think that we need to be fair and we need to be honest about it all. If Germany and Japan are expected to teach there kids about their war crimes (whether or not they do is a separate issue) then so should we be acknowledging what we've done in the past. Fair's fair. Anyway.. best not prattle on about it here too much. This being a travel forum and all, but thanks for your comments. I was a bit anxious about that post... but I did promise myself when I found out about it, that I would not be silent about the whole retribution thing. It's not always easy though.

Anyway... we have to head on out now. We've arrived in Paris and have a concert in Notre Dam to get to. :o)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

When we visited the Tower it was one of those magic moments in which (don't know why) there weren't many people about. So we got to look at Tower Green in silence and I think that makes a difference. OTOH we didn't go to see the Crown Jewels first (big mistake) and by the time we'd finished with the White and Bloody Towers there was a huge queue so we passed.

That audio display with the various dialects looked very interesting but sadly wasn't working when we visited the Dickens exhibition. To me seeing Dickens' actual desk was a big deal. Once again, thanks for such entertaining and informative reports. And I agree completely on the IWM thing.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Glad you had such a nice time, thanks for sharing and I'll keep an eye on your blog for your entries re the Netherlands(hope you got to go to the Keukenhof) :)

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: 9 nights in London - the report begins

Thanks afds and Orange tigger.. I've been making some good progress on the Amsterdam days.. and we DID get to Keukenhof. Glory of glories. That was day one so that if anything went badly wrong we still had several more days as back up. Keukenhof is the main thing that brought us to the Netherlands.

If only we guarantee that we have those magic moments where everyone else seems to have chosen to be elsewhere!

I will get round to posting a report link on the Amsterdam forum soon.

thanks again, and thanks for coming along on our travels :o) Not to mention thanks to all on the forums, the many questions and conversation on the TALF were great help in our planning. :o)

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands