We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK/London trip report- March 2012

Riegelsville, PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
UK/London trip report- March 2012

Our family of four (including 2 boys, ages 8 and 15) took a 10-day trip to the UK in mid-March 2012. Time was split pretty evenly between London and visiting family in Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, and at a family reunion at a youth hostel in Peak National Park.

We flew British Airways between Newark and Heathrow, and the flight was fine- the seatback entertainment kept the boys quiet, and there was just enough legroom (I am 6-6) to manage. Customs was a breeze- quite a contrast with the return to Newark with the $5 for luggage carts, long walks down passages that still look they were a temporary setup cobbled together yesterday rather than a careful permanent layout, etc.

London was terrific. We visited the Churchill War Rooms, Tower of London, The London Eye, London Dungeon (the boys loved this), the Imperial War Museum, and took a boat ride down the Thames to Greenwich.

I highly recommend the Churchill War Rooms- the Churchill museum in the middle of the tour is just astounding. I also highly recommend the boat ride down the Thames, if the weather is inviting.

If you are a Doctor Who fan, I also recommend a visit to the Who Shop not far from the Upton Park tube station- the most doctor Who merchandise I've ever seen under one roof- they also have a small museum with props from several of the stories.

We stayed in a flat in London, and had Travelcards to get around on the Underground and buses. We actually went back to Heathrow to pick up our rental car and head north- we figured it avoided driving in central London, and made sense since we would have to end up at Heathrow for our flight back anyway.

We also visited the National Space Centre outside Leicester, and that was surprisingly good- I wasn't aware that the university apparently has all sorts of partnerships with NASA and the European Space Agency. Would have liked to spend more time here.

The countryside in the National Park was simply stunning, and the weather was just about perfect. apparently there are some caves worth exploring just outsidethe National Park, near Buxton, but we got sidetracked by a used bookstore- we ended up bringing home so many books we had to redistribute them among everyone's baggage to stay under weight allowances.

All in all, a great trip- I saw some family members at our reunion that I had not seen for over 40 years. Hope to do it again some time if we are ever solvent once more- we had to refuel the rental car before taking it back, and while the car, a diesel, got great mileage, I still paid over $100 to fill the tank- I don't know how people do it if they are outside London.

I'll also have a couple of extra postings on some side issues that I was interested in, and for which our experiences may be helpful for someone else.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,639 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK/London trip report- March 2012

Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for posting. And if it's any consolation petrol is even more expensive now thanks to a fuel duty rise and more to come!

london
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK/London trip report- March 2012

wow, you found the Dr Who shop, very good !! ... we have a fan in the family who keeps on nagging to go back again and again

Italy
Level Contributor
39,508 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK/London trip report- March 2012

Thanks for posting your report, I really enjoyed it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK/London trip report- March 2012

It sounds like you had a great trip! How nice to be able to see family and visit London---a wonderful combination.

I agree with you on the War Rooms/Churchill Museum---I think it's fantastic.

Thanks for posting!

5. Re: UK/London trip report- March 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 10:42