We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided Tours vs. Going Solo

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Guided Tours vs. Going Solo

I am a newbie to this forum, so I apologize if this question has already been asked. I am turning 50 in September and I am having a British Birthday Bash, complete with Beatles cover band. For my present, I am planning on going to England, and of course one of my stops will have to be Liverpool.

I am trying to figure out which might be better, a guided tour, or just wing it on my own. I will be with my husband. I know this is very subjective and probably depends upon whether or not we like a strict schedule or not. I was just wondering if anyone had looked into the advantages/disadvantages and could give me their two cents. Do you think it is more economical to do a guided tour? Is it expensive to get around the country on our own. We won't be renting a car, so travel logistics may be easier on a motor coach??

This would be a first trip to England. Thank you for your replies.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided Tours vs. Going Solo

'Is it expensive to get around the country on our own?' It could be, if you hired a car (and paid for petrol [about £1.40 a litre], parking, Congestion Charge etc).

' .... may be easier on a motor coach ...' Cliff Richard may have wanted to go on a summer holiday, but I think now he would say no thank you to the idea of travelling long distances on National Express coaches.

The fastest trains from London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street take just over two hours, with return fares from £74. If you keep an eye on the Virgin Trains website you may find sale fares for travel in First (or in Standard), which could make for an even better birthday celebration. Book from 12 weeks in advance of travel, collect tickets in Londn - simples.

The 139 towards West Hampstead, from Oxford Circus, travels along Abbey Road and stops near 'that' zebra crossing. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…oxfordcircusdr-day-2199.pdf If you start from Marble Arch or Baker Street you may add the 189 as well. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/…

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,519 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided Tours vs. Going Solo

Perhaps you can do a little of both. On Wednesdays, London Walks does a "Beatles Magical Mystery Tour" 2 hour guided walk.

walks.com/London_Walks_Home/…12863

Boston
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided Tours vs. Going Solo

Thank you. I appreciate all the help I can get!!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,519 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided Tours vs. Going Solo

"we get by with a little help from our friends."

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided Tours vs. Going Solo

Don't book train tickets for Liverpool until 12 weeks before travel and return tickets should be much less~ £36 for the round trip. the time you book is crucial.

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided Tours vs. Going Solo

you might find this thread interesting

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186337-i414-k51…

7. Re: Guided Tours vs. Going Solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:41