We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

Am planning to do the 1/2 day Stonehenge and full day Cotswold tours in July from Bath. Wondering if I should add the Avebury Stone Circles or not? Any thoughts???

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

Whilst I think Avebury is wonderful, how are you intending to do this?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

If you are interested in ancient stone circles, Avebury is very special. If you are not, why bother?

IMHO, There are no "must sees" only things to delight a particular person.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

If you going to do one or the other I'd stick with Stonehenge. It's easier to get to by various tours from Bath and I find it has more of interest than the circles at Avebury.

However if you have a deep interest in Neolithic culture and have a lot of time and the means to get there, then combining Avebury with The Sanctuary, West Kennet Longbarrow, Silbury Hill and The Ridgeway may be more rewarding.

If it's just Avebury v Stonehenge, I'd stick with the latter.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

I was going to change from the Stonehenge 1/2 day to the full day which includes Avebury, but I think what we have is enough. Personally I am apprehensive on taking a bus tour, but we don't feel comfortable driving. But have heard good things abt Mad Max tours so we're looking forward to it.

Thks!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

Stone Circle, not Circles. Most of us have never seen it.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

I have been to both, and enjoyed both. Stonehenge is obviously more grand in scale, and more of a must see, but Avebury is very nice. I think taking a tour that includes both is really a great way to see two very different examples of ancient stone circles. While the stones used in Avebury are smaller than Stonehenge, the circle itself is much larger. I enjoyed seeing both.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

At Avebury you can walk around the stones, at Stronehenge you have to stay behind the rope.

Neither will detain you for much more than 5 minutes.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

I have zero interest in the Cotswolds so it wouldn't be a "must see" for me.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

I've spent 30 minutes at Stonehenge but have visited Avebury 4 times, each time spending a half day. Admittedly I'm a sucker for stone circles, but Avebury has a lot to see---LOTS of stones in various configurations, spread around and within a small village with some thatched-roof cottages and a pretty church. There are also usually sheep--wonderful photo elements. :-)

And its not that I'm "into" neolithic culture; I just find that the site resonates with me. Being able to touch the stones and climb up and down the dike/moat are thrilling as well.

Why don't you google some images and see if you think you'd be impressed?

London
Level Contributor
874 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Avebury Stone Circles a must see?

Whilst Stonehenge is the more renowned attraction, Avebury makes for a more interesting visit, in my opinion. Lovely walk around the stones, with a quaint village contained within - and a nice pub too! :-)

In addition to the stones, there is also Avebury Manor and gardens, which is well worth visiting.