We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

big bus tour or small?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
Level Contributor
27 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
big bus tour or small?

We would like to go on a Stonehedge, Bath, Windsor tour, which is the best way?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: big bus tour or small?

The best way is to go to Windsor one day on your own, by train, and Bath another day, again, on your own, by train, taking a short day trip out to Stonehenge from Bath with a service like Mad Maxx.

Visiting Windsor Castle:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

What else to do in Windsor

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c167859/Winds…

There are tour buses that will take you from London to all three places, but it is a twelve hour day, with very little time at the sites, and I lot of time on the road.

Just the driving alone covers 240 miles. And since the London/Windsor/Bath portions will *not* be roaring along at 50 miles an hour, you can count on many hours on that bus.

But for the time poor traveler, the coach tour can sometimes be the only viable option.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 16:56
philadelphia
Level Contributor
27 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: big bus tour or small?

Thank you very much for your very helpful response. I think I will do the Bath/Stonehedge trip and have to forgo Windsor. We only have 4 days in London.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: big bus tour or small?

How long is your visit and where are you staying?

You could save Windsor Castle for one of your days in London. It's just 25 minutes by train from Paddington station.

There are numerous tour companies that will take you to Stonehenge and Bath with longer time there than the more rushed Stonehenge, Bath, Windsor option. Usually an hour at Stonehenge and three hours in Bath. The scenery from either the train or bus will be very similar, and actually quite pleasant but with a coach tour the guide will actually tell you what you are looking at.

Look at www.londontoolkit.com for the various tour options regarding minibus over full size coach tours.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: big bus tour or small?

The link provided above is for a tour that picks up in London between 7:30-8:30 am, spends 3 hours in Bath, 1 hour in Stonehenge, and returns to London at 6 pm.

That's 5 1/2 hours on the bus.

Myself, I would not recommend leaving London if you only have four days there. A day trip reduces your time in London to three days.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: big bus tour or small?

I think the OP is doing the right thing and taking one day of a four day trip to the UK and seeing something other than just London. If I were on a trip to England for 4 days I'd spend two days in London and two days exploring as much as I could outside of the city. And a guided coach tour may well work for some people, and trains may be the better option for others. Lots to see the minute you leave dreary suburbia and get into the countryside. 5 hours of train or coach travel through England can be very enjoyable for some people.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 18:29
philadelphia
Level Contributor
27 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: big bus tour or small?

Thank you everyone. My husband and I have been to London before, but this time we are with our three boys; late teens and early twenty year olds. They would like to see Stonehedge, I have never been able to see Windsor Castle so I thought I would try to satisfy everyone, but I only want to leave London for one day so something is going to have to go. I think Bath and Stonehedge seems to be best. I can always count on this forum to help me!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,964 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: big bus tour or small?

It's Stonehenge btw.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
27 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: big bus tour or small?

I know sorry about that, not feeling my best today.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: big bus tour or small?

In my case I will be doing tour of Bath on my own and have booked an evening tour of Stonehenge.

The combined tour seems best option for you since time is limited.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
27 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: big bus tour or small?

An evening tour of Stonehenge sounds very cool. Who did you book with?