We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

Dear Sirs,

I will be in London on11th May with a group of students of Mechanical Engineering and I'm looking for a factory tour near London (we will be driving four 7-seats cars) with interrest in our area of study.

Could you give me some suggestion and contact?

Kindest regards,

Francisco Silva

Essex
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

Well, it is not a factory, but perhaps your students would like a visit here (not too far from London):

http://www.museumofpower.org.uk/

This is an 'enthusiast' Museum, but they have salvaged some lovely belt driven 'stamping' machines and lathes that might appeal - especially as you say that tool manufacture is one of your areas of interest...

Also have a look here:

http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/

The 'birthplace' of the industrial revolution where metalworking 'in a big way' was spawned!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,445 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

Francisco,

I quite understand given the slightly unusual nature of your itinerary but you will need to take the cars to the Royal National hotel on the 10th in order to check in so it seems unnecessarily complicated to then drive out of town to park them. I think there are a number of car parks close by and it might be worth approaching a company to strike a deal seeing that you will be there for a few nights and will be bringing four cars.

You are only at The Novotel for one night and that hotel does have some parking spaces, albeit at a fee.

Might be worth starting a separate thread if you need more help on this.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

Adam,

Thank you very much for your help.

Your suggestions about logistic aspects will be taken into account.

I will contact the hotels as soon as possible in order to book the cheapest alternative in both cases.

Best regards,

Francisco Silva

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

Dear Friend,

Thank you very much for these new suggestions.

My strategy is an initial approach to factories, because is our main interrest and, after that, I will consider to visit some interesting museums and London has a lot.

Museums pointed by you are really interesting for us and were not being considered before. Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Francisco Silva

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

I'll definitely second the suggestion for the Museum of Power. I visited last year and it was a fascinating experience. Not too far away from Langford and the Museum is Wilkinson's Jams and Preserves Factory. It may be well outside your engineering disciplines, but they do factory tours.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

The small Brunel Museum may be of interest. It's about five minutes' walk from Rotherhithe station, on the site of the Thames Tunnel. Three capped ventilation shafts from that tunnel (incorporating the old East London line, now part of the Overground) are still standing next to a car park on an estate in Delllow Street, near Shadwell station.

The Whitechapel Bell Foundry tour isn't as interesting as it could be, but the actual physical set up of the foundry is.

The Thames Barrier Visitor Centre on the south bank of the river may be worth a look. Some tour boats make the trip from Greenwich to the Barriers, very impressive to see from the river.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

Actually, Wilkins at Tiptree don't do factory tours. They do have a free, small and interesting museum on-site that shows some of the older equipment that the factory has used (some they designed) in past decades. Your group might find this interesting, The tearooms there are a nice place for a cuppa and a scone and your favourite Tiptree jam!

I do think they used to run tours YEARS ago. However no longer - probably because of the hygiene standards required in a food producing industry!

There are contact details on the website though, so if you like the idea, Francisco, they are another place it might be worth writing to/e-mailing and asking....

http://www.tiptree.com/

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

If you are interested in industrial museums and are going to Sheffield, then consider Kelham Island Museum that has a functioning rolling mill previously used for rolling armour plate.

29. Re: Factory tour - Mechanical Engineering next 11th May'2012.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:16